An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, December 31, 2010

Next Year in a Better Way

It's New Year's Eve, the boys are watching football, and I am sitting here by the fire grateful that we are having a quiet evening at home. I have much to write about these past few weeks, but for now it feels more fitting to be looking ahead to the New Year.

There is always so much hope about looking ahead, and it's exciting to think I have an entire year - 365 glorious days - to learn, create, grow, become. For me, it's not so much about resolutions as it is about continuing the journey I am on, but in a better way.

Two years ago I decided to not bother with Resolutions; instead, I chose one word, or idea, to carry with me throughout the New Year. In 2009 I chose the word embrace to remind me to be fully present in a moment without conscious thought of yesterday or tomorrow.

Last year I chose the idea to learn to love what is good for me. It was an idea that helped me physically, spiritually, emotionally, and intellectually.

This year I want to learn to not take myself too seriously. I want to be an adult with a child-like freshness. I want to bring out the me that I tend to keep hidden from others. So, this year I pick fun as my word.

Fun, as in this year I will do things such as . . .

walk barefoot in the grass;
get up early just to watch the sunrise;
teach the boys the funny camp songs I know;
read Anne of Green Gables;
bake bread;
wear red danskos;
play the guitar on the back porch, instead of inside;
write a children's story/poem;
paint on a canvas, and have it framed;
try a new recipe once a week;
explore;
plant tomatoes and grow basil;
and make weekly visits to the Farmer's Market.

Next year - soon to be this year - I will not take myself too seriously.
I will be fun, have fun, and experience fun.

Seriously. I will.

9 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

It's good to get serious about fun.

Tiziana said...

Spero che tu possa realizzare tutti i tuoi propositi e che ti possa divertire come desideri.
BUON ANNO MARIA!!

Monica said...

You my dear are an inspiration!

Thank you.

PAOLA said...

Maria, mi hai veramente ispirata!
anch'io voglio fare e pensare come hai deciso tu!
E sono pronta a spedirti per posta delle belle bustine di semi di basilico!!
bacioni

GrandmaK said...

My friend, you ARE Fun!!! Wishing you well!!!! Cathy

Lisa said...

Bia, I love the concreteness of this... concrete and yet will-o-the-wispish. Perfect.

Lisa said...

Bia, I love the concreteness of this... concrete and yet will-o-the-wispish. Perfect.

Lisa said...

um. oops.

Laura said...

Really good stuff.
(And Anne of Green Gables is a great, fun read.)