An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, February 25, 2011

7 Quick Takes: Danskos, Eating Clean, and a Rattling Chandelier

This is my first time participating in 7 Quick Takes Friday hosted by Conversion Diary, so please be gentle ...



1. Top news, for me, would have to be this: after five years of daily use (including vacations in Washington D.C., Las Vegas, Virginia Beach, Hilton Head, and three trips to Italy), the time has finally come to retire my trusty pair of black Dansko clogs. (Remember my post Dancing through Life in my Dansko Clogs? Dansko featured it on their Web site.) Of course, I still have my tan, brown, purple, and leopard ones ... but I'm really going to miss my black Danskos.

2. One of my favorite things to do is read recipe books. When I go to a bookstore I immediately head to the cookbook section, and I will read and read. So, you can imagine how thrilled I was when my copy of The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook came in the mail today and (oh joy!) it has a colored photo for every single recipe. My weekend reading is set.

3. Speaking of eating, here is my favorite hummus recipe: blend 1 can of cannellini beans; 1/4 c. chopped roasted red peppers; 2 cloves of chopped garlic; 1/4c. olive oil; juice of one lemon; salt & pepper to taste. That's it.

4. I have noticed a new habit that, when faced with a chore such cleaning the boys' bathroom (hello? three boys sharing a bathroom?) or mopping the kitchen floor, I suddenly feel the need to call my sister and chat. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or some form of subconscious procrastination, but I've been calling her a lot lately.

5. I am always amazed when God answers a prayer about something I never even knew I needed until I received it. Wow.

6. The two older boys share a bedroom that is directly over the dining room. Whenever they get into a wrestling match upstairs, the chandelier downstairs rattles. It's rattling now, and I'm debating whether I should go upstairs and see what's going on, or wait until ...

7. For something to ponder over the weekend, read Fr. Charlie's post over at his blog, Catholic Insights. He describes the human experience in five words: formed, informed, deformed, reformed, transformed.

13 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

Never investigate a rattling chandelier...

Sarah said...

Hello, I just found your blog via conversion diary! I'm from a half-Italian family. My dad is Italian-American. But now I'm married to a man whose parents are as wasp as wasp can be (he is a convert to Catholicism).

I really enjoy all of your Italian-related posts. Rome is my favorite place in the world to visit. :)

Also, I'll have to try your hummus recipe; I've only seen it made with chickpeas, so cannellini beans is a little different. But it sounds delicious!

Ua said...

AHEM! I thought you were calling me because you LOVE me, not because you need an excuse to not clean the bathroom!!! SOB!

E said...

Mine and his pals skateboard upstairs and the chandelier in the library looks ready to fall at least once a week. But you know there are gigantic piles of snow out there still and when they are skateboarding in here I know they are safe and happy.
Plus he's fifteen. And he's ur last one still at home full time. I figure it won't be long til I miss that shaking chandelier...
Love the new pics of you. Fab

tiziana said...

Poverina Laura!!! Comunque, quando il lampadario trema, fatti un cappuccino e non muoverti da dove sei per nessun motivo.
Bacioni.

Christopher said...

I agree with my Mom. You call like once or twice a week: how many times do you mop that floor?!? LOL

Bia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
veronanonna said...

You should always investigate that trembling chandelier. Those are my grandsons up there and they may get hurt. This is a test to check Nonna's password.

Soutenus said...

Ahhh, farewell to the black Danskos! They served you well!

Love the recipe - thank you for sharing. :-)

Heading to Fr. Charlie's post . . . .

ps) I love your sig banner. How did you do that?

GrandmaK said...

Am trying to formulate a plan for my Lent this year. I thought maybe organization would allow me more structure. Thank being said I think I'll visit Fr. Charlie's post too! Thanks! Have a grand day! Cathy

:o) mg said...

hahahah that is exactly how I got a new chandelier in my dining room. Luckily no one was hurt in the destruction of the previous one, though I did lose my favorite flower vase. :(

Do Not Be Anxious said...

I think my human experience also includes a heavy dose of "performed", as in just going through the emotions. It's so easy to fall into that habit.

Lisa said...

OK, so Bia. You have the best Quick Takes. :) (I need to learn the trick of "quick") Running over to Fr. Charlies! Blessings, friend!