1. Hello? Anyone out there? It seems as if everyone has given up blogging and/or facebook for Lent, which is making me feel guilty for being here.
2. My husband is going to be away all next week (Monday-Saturday) and the boys are off school starting Wednesday. I am thinking he needs to bring me back a really, really nice present.
3. Because of #2 above, and because my parents have pity on me, they are taking all three boys (ALL THREE BOYS) to their house Thursday to spend the night. That means 24 hours in which I get to be all by myself. What to do? What to do? I am giddy at the thought of all that free time.
4. As a family we don't watch a lot of television, but lately we've been addicted to Pawn Stars. It's no coincidence that the show is featured on the History Channel because, and I know this is hard to believe, we learn a lot of history watching those guys. For example, this week we learned about the rare 1896 currency known as the "educational series" ... bills designed by the U.S. Treasury featuring works of art to educate people who lived in rural areas. Fascinating stuff. Really.
5. Pen pals. Did you ever have one? I had one in the 7th grade - a girl my age from Brazil - but like many pen pals we eventually lost touch ... until this week when she found me via facebook. Wow. How neat is that?
6. These aren't branches in this vase ... it's rosemary, freshly cut from a bush in my parents' backyard ... and it smells simply divine.
7. Ending on an irreverent note: five years ago during Ash Wednesday service an elderly priest placed his thumbprint smack dab in the middle of my forehead. Not a cross, mind you, but a genuine CSI-like thumbprint. Not sure why I'm mentioning it except to say that this story has caused more than a few giggles over the years.