2. After my regular morning Thursday morning Bible Study (in which I told two very funny Irish jokes), I went to get my hair cut and colored. One hour later: neatly trimmed edges, shaped bangs, and no more stray grays. I was a new person.
3. Lunch was next. It was a lovely day and I wanted to eat outdoors. Macaroni Grill, then. It was 2:30 in the afternoon and I had the entire veranda to myself. Grilled chicken spiedini, a good book, and two cute birds that kept hopping around waiting for me to toss them more breadcrumbs made for an enjoyable dining experience.
4. While I was waiting for my food I truly felt humbled. I was given this lovely 24-hour period as a "break", but really ... what do I need a break from? There are so many people -- single mothers, parents dealing with a sick child, those who are overworked and stressed -- that need a break much more than I did. This prompted a quiet prayer time.
5. Off to the mall. The mall? When was the last time I was at the mall? Or, better yet, when was the last time I was at the mall alone? I can't remember when.
6. Smart buy: at JC Penney I saw a set of bangles (remember, I like watches and chunky bracelets) marked waaaay down for $12 ... and I had a $10 coupon. Good bargain + cute bangles = grinning-like-an-idiot-shopping-woman.
7. I am always astounded at what people will do in public. Case in point: who would want to have their eyebrows plucked in the middle of the mall so that everyone walking by can watch? How can anyone relax while getting a neck/shoulder/back massage in public? Really, I just don't get it.
71/2. And just to make the point that I am really not this superficial (a whole post about shopping? really?) I encourage you to visit Fr. Pablo's blog, Labyrinthine Mind. Fr. Pablo studied at the Pontifical North American College in Rome, so he really knows his Church history (something I can attest to since he was our private tour guide on more than one occasion when we were in Rome.) During Lent he is writing a series on the Lenten Station Churches.
For more Friday Quick Takes fun, visit Jennifer at Conversion Diary.