An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, March 18, 2011

7 Quick Takes : The Mall Edition

1. My husband has been out of town all week, and because the boys were out of school for the second half of the week, my parents graciously took them to their house to spend the night. Which meant that, as of noon yesterday, I had a 24-hour period of alone time. What did I do? That's what #'s 2-7 are about.

2. After my regular morning Thursday morning Bible Study (in which I told two very funny Irish jokes), I went to get my hair cut and colored. One hour later: neatly trimmed edges, shaped bangs, and no more stray grays. I was a new person.

3. Lunch was next. It was a lovely day and I wanted to eat outdoors. Macaroni Grill, then. It was 2:30 in the afternoon and I had the entire veranda to myself. Grilled chicken spiedini, a good book, and two cute birds that kept hopping around waiting for me to toss them more breadcrumbs made for an enjoyable dining experience.

4. While I was waiting for my food I truly felt humbled. I was given this lovely 24-hour period as a "break", but really ... what do I need a break from? There are so many people -- single mothers, parents dealing with a sick child, those who are overworked and stressed -- that need a break much more than I did. This prompted a quiet prayer time.

5. Off to the mall. The mall? When was the last time I was at the mall? Or, better yet, when was the last time I was at the mall alone? I can't remember when.

6. Smart buy: at JC Penney I saw a set of bangles (remember, I like watches and chunky bracelets) marked waaaay down for $12 ... and I had a $10 coupon. Good bargain + cute bangles = grinning-like-an-idiot-shopping-woman.

7. I am always astounded at what people will do in public. Case in point: who would want to have their eyebrows plucked in the middle of the mall so that everyone walking by can watch? How can anyone relax while getting a neck/shoulder/back massage in public? Really, I just don't get it.

71/2. And just to make the point that I am really not this superficial (a whole post about shopping? really?) I encourage you to visit Fr. Pablo's blog, Labyrinthine Mind. Fr. Pablo studied at the Pontifical North American College in Rome, so he really knows his Church history (something I can attest to since he was our private tour guide on more than one occasion when we were in Rome.) During Lent he is writing a series on the Lenten Station Churches.

For more Friday Quick Takes fun, visit Jennifer at Conversion Diary.

3 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

Let's be thankful that we DO have moments where we can be nothing but superficial. It comes from having a blessed life--which I never, ever think you take for granted!

My post was more shallow yesterday. Sometimes a little Shallow El is a nice breather.

Father Pablo said...

Thanks for the shout out!

tiziana said...

Una bella giornata e come sempre ci insegni a non essere banali. GuarderĂ² con interesse il blog di Father Pablo. CIAO