An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Thursday, March 3, 2011

7 quick takes: yellow pansies, an aardvark, holey pants

1. Last night I raided our pantry and and refrigerator and made a Bolognese sauce - a little meat, some ricotta, dash of basil, a little of this, a little of that - and it came out great. Too bad I didn't write down the recipe.

2. I am a big list maker, but in planning for Lent I realized I didn't want a list on what to do, but a list on how to be . . . a spiritual to-be list, if you will. Here are some to be ideas: be charitable, be forgiving, be helpful to a stranger, be brave and take a stand, be a peacemaker, be kind, smile, speak gently.

A spiritual to-be list . . . what do you think? The idea came to me when I found my son's "to-do" list.

3. This week I planted bright, yellow pansies in the flower boxes on our front porch. Bursts of sunshine that make me smile.

4. Can I just say how excited I am about Lent? I now recognize it for the gift it is, and it humbles me.

5. My son, in a hurry to unload the dishwasher to watch Arthur on television, broke not one ... not two ... but THREE dinner plates. Thanks to a cartoon aardvark, my wish for new dishes may come sooner than later.

6. A last minute reminder about First Friday Mass sent me into a panic since our first grader had put a hole - a big, gaping hole - in his very last pair of school pants a few days ago. What to do? What to do?

So, a late night trip to Target resulted in the last pair of size 7 navy pants hanging on the rack for him, and a pretty summer blouse for me.

7. And speaking of our first grader, it's his turn to plan family night. So, our Friday night plans include:

~ read Bible story

~decorate coffee table with Woody, Mr. Potato Head, and the Army Men
~have pizza picnic in family room while watching Toy Story

~go to bed

~the end



4 comments:

Diane said...

I loved reading your Quick Takes! And yes Lent is a gift isn't it? I hope your is wonderful and fruitful!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

#2? Brilliantly God inspired. And now to think about mine...

I've always wanted to give pansies a go, still too cold here, but perhaps soon!

Thanks for the morning grins!

knowledgehungry said...

I am trying to learn to recognize Lent as a gift... Right now, it seems like it always has: a burden.

Lisa said...

Too much to comment on here! Lent (Holy Cow! How could it already be Ash Wednesday week?!), pansies (wish it were time to plant some here!), necessary shopping trips due to careless (OR growing) little guys (have had some of those)!.... but the thing that caught and held my heart, I gotta say is your sweet first-grader's family night list. :) "...unless you become as little children, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."