An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, May 27, 2011

7 quick takes: the bad joke at the end

1. One of my greatest joys in life is walking out on my back deck and picking fresh basil. It's insane the amount of basil I use.

2. Today is the last day of school. Some Moms cry because kids will be home all summer, but I cry in relief that this month is finally, finally over. Graduation, recitals, reports, parties, presentations ... all finished. Enough said.

3. This week, exactly one year ago, we were doing our final packing for our family trip to Italy. I am feeling a little nostalgic for this...



and this...



and let's not forget this.



4. This summer I am working on a special writing project. Please, every once in a while ask me how it's going ... I need the pressure to stay on task.

5. Whenever things get hectic around here, my exercise routine goes out the window. But today … no more.

6. So, there was once this Italian Nonna who spoke very broken English. One of the things that always confused everyone was that she pronounced Tuesday and Thursday the same way: Thoosday.

One day she announces that her sister is visiting on Thoosday.

Her grown son says with a grin, Which Thoosday are you talking about … Tuesday or Thursday?

She gives him the eye.

The one next to Wednesday, stupido! And she whacks him on the head.

7. We are headed to Myrtle Beach on Monday. And just so there's no confusion ... that’s the Monday next to Thoosday.

Go visit Jen at Conversion Diary for more quick takes!

6 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

We still have two full weeks of school.

How's that writing project going?

I know that's not at all pithy, but it's all I have...

Suburban Correspondent said...

I'm with you on #2. May/June with older kids is nothing but a grueling endurance test.

Nikki said...

Even if we are a Polish/Irish family, we too use an insane amount of basil. I think there are nine basil plants currently on my back deck.

Ua said...

You need to include the book title from which you lifted the Thoosday story. I keep looking for it on eBay... no luck!

Father Pablo said...

Laughed pretty hard with the Thoosday story!

tiziana said...

Maria, non mi ricordavo più di questo particolare... che ridere, però devo confidarti una cosa: ancora oggi non riesco a ridordarmi i nomi in inglese dei giorni della settimana...che sia una cosa ereditaria?
Ciao e buone vacanze, vi penserò.