An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Boys ... About as Uncomplicated as You Can Get

Now that our recent graduate has all this freedom, he and a few friends decide to get a group together to go and see an afternoon movie. After a flurry of phone calls, and once the dust settles, the group consists of three guys and three girls.

Even numbers ... very clever.

To kill time before leaving, Jonathan and his two buddies play some serious basketball in our driveway. They play hard for almost an hour, and then pile into the car smelling like ... well, like boys who have been playing basketball in 95 degree weather in the middle of the afternoon. Not serious body odor, but ...

Okay. They smell like dogs.

On the other hand, I am sure that the girls (and correct me if I am wrong) have spent at least two hours calling each other, planning outfits, taking showers, and styling their hair.

The only hair styling going on with the guys is them sticking their faces right next to the air conditioning vents to cool off.

Hey guys, I say as I drive. You know, before you meet girls at the movies maybe it's not such a good idea to get quite so sweaty.

They are thinking about this, I can tell. One even sniffs his armpit.

Without saying anything, I pull out a packet of Lemon Scented Wet Ones and they begin seriously wiping faces, arms, legs, and even their hair. They don't have a comb (I was NOT going to give them mine), so they use their fingers to, basically, not improve matters whatsoever.

A few minutes later I watch them walk into the theater: one has a giant hole in his sneaker partially covered with duct tape, the other is wearing shorts with a shirt that doesn't match, and the last one's hair is sticking straight up on one side.

They are joking, laughing, more than a little goofy, and very loveable.

Amazingly, they smell like lemons.

4 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

Or lemon pledge...

At least they were willing to clean off!

tiziana said...

Maria, sei davvero bravissima a scrivere, è come se avessi visto di persona tutta la scena...TROPPO BELLA!!! Sono ancora qui che rido!!
A quell'età c'è veramente una grande differenza tra maschio e femmina però, ti dico la verità, non saprei proprio chi preferire..
Ciao
PS: per fortuna le tue salviette profumavano di limone e non di violetta.

Christopher said...

That's a rather VERY scary picture...

Ua said...

Ha, ha, ha! I love it! I wish I could be so carefree sometimes. Can I shave my head?