An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Rocker Hair, Tattoos, and Playing Hooky

When our eldest graduated from middle school, part of his graduation present was an overnight trip to Atlanta with Mom and Dad. Without his two younger brothers around, he was the center of attention: we checked into our hotel, we dined in a nice restaurant, and - get ready for this - we went to an Aerosmith concert.

Yes, you heard correctly, Aerosmith. With ZZ Top as the opening act.

It was held in an open air arena, and to say that it was blistering hot is putting it mildly. We sweated and we sweated.

But that evening I realized that I wanted rocker hair just like Joe Perry. Hair a tad wild, but stylish and oh! so cool. I came home and talked and talked about Joe Perry's hair until my sister told me that my hair looks like that every time we go to the beach.

Sheesh, thanks a lot, sis.

Anyway, I still smile when I think of that concert and I still smile when I think of Joe Perry. (Shocking!)



But wait, there's more.

In a little over a week our middle son, Jonathan, will be graduating and he, too, will get his overnight trip to Atlanta with Mom and Dad; in fact, we are going tomorrow. This time, though, it won't be a concert but an Atlanta Hawks basketball game.

Our son is over the moon with excitement. He lives and breathes basketball, and the fact that he'll miss school on Friday just makes everything that much sweeter.

But I've been thinking ... basketball.

Basketball players don't have rocker hair, but they do have tattoos. Lots and lots of tattoos.

Hmmm.

Hmmm.

Let's leave it at that, shall we?

4 comments:

tiziana said...

Hmmm, hmmm, un piccolo tatuaggio non sarebbe male, magari un fiorellino o una farfallina.
Fammi sapere come è andata la gara e buon divertimento.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

Betty Boop? Nope! You have to get a full sleeve tattoo!

Lisa said...

Heehee! Maybe a tiny butterfly on your ankle? (I was accused of having Tina Turner hair back in the eighties. Don't know that it was meant as a compliment... :)

Sarah said...

Hilarious. Maybe you can get a skull, or a big heart with "mom" in the center. :)