An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Thursday, June 16, 2011

7 quick takes: The Question & Answer Version

1. Who is more foolish?

My mom calls me today and asks for the phone number of my best friend, Jill ... she wants to call and thank her for the postcard she sent from Italy. I give her the number and hang up. Two seconds later the phone rings:

Hello?

Jill, this is Massimilla, Maria's mother. I wanted to thank you ...

Uhm, Mom, it's me. You called the wrong number.

But this is the number you gave me!!!


She read me back the number and, sure enough, I had given her my number ... and despite the fact that she calls me several times a day, she didn't recognize it as mine.

2. What to do when it's so hot and hasn't rained for three weeks?

Play croquet in the sprinklers ...



3. Do I feed my boys?

Even though the above photo may indicate otherwise, yes I do. I should be so blessed to have their metabolism ...

4. Can you read this?

If ever you wanted to sound Italian ... here's your chance. Read the following with an Italian accent (the opening line is Once upon a time there were three bears and the last word is City Hall).

Di Tri Berrese

Uans appona taim uas tri berrese; mamma berre, pappa berre, e beibi berre. Live inna contri nire foresta. Naise aus, no mugheggia. Uanna dei pappa, mamma, e beibi go bice, orie e furghetta locche di dorra.

Bai enne bai commese Goldilocchese. Sci garra nattingha tu du batte meiche troble. Sci puscia olle fudde daon di maute; no live cromme. Den sci gos appesterrese enne slipse in olle beddse. Bai enne bai commese omme di tri berrese, olle sannebronne enne send inne scius. Dei garra no fudde; dei garra no beddse. En uara dei goine du tu Goldilocchese? Tro erre aute inne strit? Colle pulissemenn?

Deis uas Italien berrese, enne dei slippe onne florre. Goldilocchese stei derre tri deise: dei esch erre tu meiche di beddse, sci runne omme craine tu erre mamma. Uatssiuse? Uara iu goine du? Go compleine sittiole?

5. What happened to my beautiful pansies?

Gone, gone, gone. As in, dead. They used to look like this:



6. Have my mornings been filled with the productive writing time that I had envisioned at the start of summer?

Nope.

7. What are your irrational fears?

-Getting stuck on a bridge in traffic.
-Elevators.
-Being chased ... no tag for me.

For more fun and fearless quick takes, visit Jen at Conversion Diary!


7 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

oooh,

Pansy question...mine have just about stopped blooming too, but I'm hoping for more in the fall. Have you ever cut yours back over the summer?

deanna said...

Okay, I don't get #4, I really tried and since I am Italian am frustrated I don't get it. Maybe I need an espresso to wake up?
I also love pansies but can never seem to find them in S. Florida.
ciao.

Kathleen@so much to say said...

#1 is hilarious.

So is #2, for that matter.

As for writing, I didn't go into the summer with any illusions of productivity...and thus I'm only a wee bit disappointed with my lack of progress.

:o) mg said...

Pansies grow in the winter.

not a minx, a moron, or a parasite said...

I should come to your blog for a little dose of Italian language training! I've forgotten most of mine from college :o

tiziana said...

Ma che cos'è "Di Tri Barrese?" Non riesco a leggerlo nemmeno io...
Devi dire a Timothy che la prossima volta che vengo voglio assolutamente anch'io "to play croquet in the sprinklers".
Paure irrazionali? Tante purtroppo, I am very foolish.
Salutami i Kane.
CIAO!!!

GrandmaK said...

Love it!!! Sprinkler Croquet!!! Very innovative! Have a great day!! Cathy