An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, July 15, 2011

7 Quick Takes of Bad Hair Days

We just returned from a two week road trip. During that time my hair took it's own little vacation; that is, it went all out crazy, did nothing I asked it to, and all I can say is thank goodness for pony tails.



A Vacation of Bad Hair Days

1. We were in Virginia Beach twice. Virgina BEACH ... beach being the operative word. Humidity and ocean breezes and my hair ... Mamma Mia.

2. Went boating on the Chesapeake Bay. We explored the shores and wandered into coves. Humidity, boat spray, wind. Enough said.

3. Went tubing ... I would describe the state of my hair but, seriously, there are no words.

4. Took a tour of an Amish farm in Lancaster, PA. Sounds harmless, right? But then a HUGE thunderstorm came out of nowhere (well, it came from the west) and we took shelter in a goat shed. For half an hour we huddled in the shed with 8 goats and my rebellious hair. Note to self: next time I get caught in the rain on an Amish farm take cover in the quilting shed.

5. Drove around Gettysburg. Stopped to climb a tall observation tower to see the beautiful views. What I saw was a fast approaching storm cloud. Actually, it wasn't approaching, it had arrived. It was a long way back to our parked car.

6. Took a tour of Penn State. Not exactly raining, but a fine mist everywhere. Umbrellas don't work in misty weather and misty weather does a number on my hair.

7. Returned to Virginia Beach for two days before heading home. Sent the older boys golfing, left Timothy with Papa to work on an airplane project, and I drove to the first Beauty Salon I could find: Lee Pasquale. It sounded Italian, it was open, and walk-ins were welcome. Color, cut, shampoo (delicious head massage), style ... I walked out a new person.


And once back at Papa's house I remained inside the rest of the day:)


Now, go visit Jen for some more quick takes. She never has bad hair days, but she does have a new baby which is much, much more enjoyable.

6 comments:

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Ah, yes as a former East Coast girl, how I remember that humidity. My hair spent most of the summer UP. When I go back I try to battle the pouf but it is a losing battle.

Lisa said...

Oh, I can sooooo sympathize! Same for me on vacation west -- humidity and/or wind everwhere -- PLUS lost my hair-calming shampoo and the industrial strength curling iron I usually use to tame the wild beast. And it's too short for a pony tail these days... It was not good.

Kathleen@so much to say said...

Hee hee! I've been feeling that way too--way overdue for a trim, in the pool, in the 90+ % humidity...curls. You do the math. We watched "Tangled" the other night, and my oldest said, "You kind of look like the witch."

OUCH!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

I would feel sorry for you, but YOU WENT ON A TWO WEEK ROAD TRIP!

Love that you got a little pampering in on the road.

My little Q-tip head is going to Baton Rouge next month, and I can't pull my hair into a pony tail--unless it grows about 8 inches in three weeks.

tiziana said...

Ah! Ah! Troppo bello! Devo dire che hai fatto un viaggio davvero avventuroso (soprattutto per i tuoi capelli). Povera donna, l'unica, con quattro uomini, ad avere questi problemi. Penso che il momento piĆ¹ bello sia stato il massaggio alla testa, rilassante e tranquillo. Pensa quando ti chiederanno di passare le vacanze su un peschereccio o su una jeep attraverso le montagne rocciose senza nessuna Lee Pasquale nelle vicinanze, coraggio, per Timothy sarai sempre stata una mamma bellissima.

Tina Fisher said...

I can so relate when humidity mixes with my hair. YIKES! For that reason alone I seek a warm dry climate to live in. And let me tell you this week in MN....we are at 80% humidity..no lie! What does a woman do with that?

Love your blog! ;)