An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Thursday, August 25, 2011

If Oprah can have a Favorite Things list ... I can, too (in just 7 quick takes)

~1~
My Capri watch.

But better than the watch itself, is the story behind it (a song and dance routine of conducting business in Italy) and the setting (the island of Capri). Sigh.



~2~
Pendant lights over the breakfast counter.

My sister in-law gave me the idea to replace the recessed lights in the ceiling with pendant lights. Easy enough project, right?

Except that the recessed lights were off center, so we had to make a base to shift everything over.
Except that, with ten foot ceilings, we were straining to reach the ceiling even when we stood on the counter.
Except that once everything was mounted, one of the pendant lights went out and we had to take everything down and start all over again.

Nobody was speaking to me that evening.

But I love those lights:-)



~3~
Girl Reading, Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot .

My $15 purchase (frame and all) at an antique store that was going out of business. It hangs in our study and it's just perfect.



~4~
Our Rec Room.


Shortly after moving into our house we decided to convert our two-car garage into a rec/entertaining room. The garage door was replaced by french doors; the industrial gray walls were painted a sunny yellow; the concrete floor was carpeted; and built in benches were added around one wall. We purchased a beautiful farm table, and decorated it with inspiration from all things Italian Countryside (think Tuscan farmhouse). Most of our entertaining gets done in that room.



~5~
My Barista Espresso Machine.


This little corner in my kitchen is where Cappuccino Magic happens.



~6~
Old letters and black & white photos.




~7~
My Nonna's thimble.


Enough said.



Now, go visit Jen over at Conversion Diary ... she called in the heavy artillery to handle a scorpion problem.

5 comments:

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

I love that painting! Wow...what a find :)

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

I love that you're so girlie and your home is so girlie even though you're surrounded by all boys. Love. It.

deanna said...

Love the thimble best, I have my bis-nonna's.

tiziana said...

A me la tua casa piace tutta anche perchè ho dei bellissimi ricordi.
Un bacione.

Ann Minard said...

Oh I just love your home, not to mention your blog which I just started following!