An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, August 6, 2011

My Answers to Yesterday's Questions

~1~ First of all, check out Suburban Correspondent's comment from yesterday's post ... evidently she is passionate on the topic of teen drivers and I agree totally with what she had to say. This is how I handled my little situation:

Me: Gosh (playing dumb),is that even allowed? I know in Georgia a new driver is only allowed to have immediate family in the car; then, for the next six months he is only allowed one non-family member.

Them: Well, I don't know. Back home I think he'd be fine ... he's a good driver, though.

Me, ignoring the last part of their response: Well, I wonder what the law is in Maryland? (Which is precisely where we were having this little conversation.)

Them: Good question. They consider this a moment. Junior, I don't think you can drive this time.

Well, if looks could kill, I'd be dead. That teen was NOT happy with me, but on the way home Timothy got carsick so revenge was sweet (not very Christ-like of me, I know, but still ... )

~2~ No gaming during the week ... period. And the only computer time has to be school-related.

~3~ I can't imagine what their moms must think; maybe nothing at all, I don't know. But I am embarrassed for them.

~4~ In yesterday's comments on how to say no, Joe Kovac gave some wonderful advice on how to do so in a polite, classy, and kind manner. I'm going to try his suggestion instead of thinking up excuses.

~5~ No, I am NOT too old to shop at Old Navy. I can shop there if I want to ... and if nothing fits, why I'll just go home and put on my most flattering muumuu.

~6~ Since I already mentioned my favorite exercise program, I was wondering ... do you think it's neurotic of me to be afraid to use public gym equipment?

~7~ My Zia Tiziana gave me some wonderful suggestions on what to do at the beach next week, but since not many of you read Italian I'll translate: she basically listed all the ways I can shower Timothy with attention, then FINALLY (at the very end) she says I can have a cappuccino. Molto grazie. I'll definitely have that cappuccino ;-)

2 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

I didn't say HALF of what I think of the teen-driver situation!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

I didn't answer all of your questions yesterday.

The parents of the Jersey Shore kids probably got to be who they are by parents who indulged them or only rolled their eyes if they were naughty. These apples most likely don't fall far from their trees.

When I need to say no, I do. But one way to do it is to say, "That just doesn't work for me." Women always feel like we have to give a reason, we don't.