An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

In which I more than earned my morning cappuccino

Our 2nd grader has to complete a family tree project which includes a small report describing his family, as well as a poster containing photos of our family. The poster has a spot for each person, which means group shots wouldn't work.

The project is due tomorrow, so this morning I grabbed my digital camera to get separate head shots of the boys. What should have been a five minute chore was anything but ... and it was all Jonathan's fault.

You see, Jonathan eyes are very light sensitive, and if he knows a flash is coming he cannot help but squint; in fact, he is so sensitive that the last time he had his eyes checked he would not/could not cooperate for the glaucoma test. After repeated attempts the technician taped his eyelids open. I had to leave the room I was laughing so hard.

Anyway, this was the first photo of the morning:



"Can you at least try to keep your eyes open?" I asked, with more than a hint of exasperation in my voice.

This was him trying:



After ten more attempts which the exact same results -- same closed eyes, same expression, same pose -- I had had enough.

"I'm telling you what, you'd better keep those eyes open or else," I threatened ... mean, mean Mommy that I am. And seriously? I was wondering where the scotch tape was.

So THIS was what I got:



Sigh. In the end, THIS is what we settled on:



Believe me ... I more than earned my cappuccino this morning!

6 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

What, you couldn't give him sunglasses?

:o) mg said...

But Ellen, all of this was BEFORE the cappuccino... the logicical part of her brain was not awake yet. :D

tiziana said...

Che ridere!! io so che è ragazzo molto intelligente, ma mettere una di queste foto nell'albero di famiglia....(eh! eh!).
Jonathan ti voglio bene e sei bellissimo anche così.

Chiara said...

Well, you have to see the faces of the boys in my classroom in the morning... Help!!!!!!

Ua said...

Poor Jonathan. You are indeed a mean mommy. I see how sleepy the poor kid looks!

Lisa said...

Ahahahaha! Totally made my morning, Bia. That third shot is hysterical! (The fourth is very nice, though.)