An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, November 4, 2011

7 quick takes: seeing red, the color orange, and my husband makes me happy

~1~ SEEING RED ...
one rusty bistro set + two coats of fire engine red spray paint = pop of color in the back yard.



~2~ AND SPEAKING OF COLOR ...
nothing says autumn like the color orange.



~3~ HEAVEN ON EARTH ...
would you believe Home Depot or Lowes? I can wander the aisles for hours looking at hinges, door knobs, paint colors, or kitchen tiles. Really, I'd rather go to either of those places than the mall. And don't ask me to choose, I like them both.






~4~ BLEACH STORY ...
Last Saturday I was standing at the top of the stairs holding a bottle of bleach. Somehow the bottle slipped from my hands, and it bounced end over end down eighteen steps while I watched in horror. Halfway down the top burst open, and bleach splashed on the steps, walls, railings and, when it landed at the bottom, on the oriental rug by the front door and the silk curtains in the dining room. Oh, the mess. Oh, the fumes!



~5~ HAIR TODAY, GONE TOMORROW ...
or, in other words ... to cut or not to cut? That is the question.



~6~ MUSIC TO MY EARS ...
"You know," said my husband one morning at breakfast. "In about a year I should have enough frequent flyer miles for us all to go to Italy again."



~7~ AND SPEAKING OF ITALY ...
this iconic photo makes me smile.


American Girl in Italy

Thanks, Jen, for hosting. You can visit her at Conversion Diary where you can read about reusable toilet paper. What???!!!

5 comments:

GrandmaK said...

OH NO!!! Not the bleach!!!!! I was cringing with every word!!!!! [very LARGE sigh!] Would help if I could! have a wonderful weekend!!! Cathy

tiziana said...

Bellissimo tutto!!! Ma soprattutto sono felice perchè tornerete in Italia!!! Bravo Joe!!!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

Cut, it will grow back if you don't like it.

The Lowe's near us closed. My husband used to love that, apparently he was too alone in his depth of feeling.

Juliana said...

Yikes about the bleach! I could picture the whole episode in my mind quite clearly. Oy.

I love that last photo. I have a framed black and white print of a little boy reading a French newspaper on a park bench that was taken in the 1940s and cracks me up every time.

Lisa said...

Oh my stars! the bleeeeach! I was reading that description in terror as it bounced down the steps so hoping there was going to be a happy ending and the top was NOT going to come off. Dangit. And the hair? How much would you cut? I wanted a change, so tried color first -- but then that wasn't enough so I cut it all off. Ahhh! Yep. That's what I needed.