An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Rules for Being Sick



There are rules? For being sick?

With my boys, the answer is yes.

When the school nurse called me for the upteenth time last week about Timothy "not feeling too good", I knew it was time to lay down the law with our little guy because, having gone through this with his two older brothers, I now know when I'm being played.

So, unless you

-are vomitting,
-have a fever,
-or experiencing diarrhea ...

Mom WILL NOT come pick you up from school.

See? There really are rules for being sick.

3 comments:

tiziana said...

Povero "very bad cattivo" e forse anche un pochino malato Timothy, ma che regole sono mai queste?
Forse voleva solo la sua mamma!!!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

My mom had the same rules.

I don't know if my son ever visited the school nurse.

My kids are in 4th, so when they ask, I just let them go--haven't had more than one or two fakers. But...for the last decade we've had a retired paramedic, from Chicago no less, and he's kind of tough. So the kids know there's not much that can get past them.

Some of the parents say, "Oh my daughter is afraid of Nurse Jerry," but he doesn't have a mean bone in his body, just a "prove it" attitude.

GrandmaK said...

Indeed! Been there done that! Cathy