An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Finding God in Target

Yesterday morning I dropped my husband off at the airport. I then had a small errand to do at a store that didn't open until 10, and since it didn't make sense to go all the way home only to come back out later, I had some time to kill. I thought about going to morning Mass, but again, it was too early. But hey! What do you know? Target was open.

Thirty minutes later an elderly black woman was ringing me up at the register.

"Wait!" she said as I pulled out my credit card. "I have a $5 dollar coupon which will give you some extra savings.

"Oh my," I replied. "Thank you! My husband will love you."

She laughed.

"Love is what it's all about," she said as she handed me my bag. "You know ... I get a Bible verse sent to my phone every day."

"What was today's verse?" I asked.

She hadn't checked yet. There was no one behind me in line, so I put down my bag and she pulled out her purse. We huddled over her phone.

Truthfully, I don't remember the specific verse, but somehow I felt we were living it.

Someone came up to the line, so I picked up my bag to leave.

"Merry Christmas and God bless," we said in unison and on cue, which had us both smiling.

As I walked out of the store I glanced at my watch. If I hurried, I would make it to morning Mass ... it seemed like the perfect thing to do.


Cortona, Italy

5 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

There is no such thing as a coincidence.

Suburban Correspondent said...

I make a pilgrimage to Target at least once a week.

GrandmaK said...

Happens to me at this time too. If we all could be Advent People all year long. Thank you!!!! Cathy

tiziana said...

E' tutto molto bello!
Un abbraccio.

Lisa said...

I love this. He really is everywhere...