An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Ixnay on Hamburger Helper

Once upon a time, when my husband and I were newlyweds and I was still learning my way around a kitchen, I fixed Hamburger Helper for dinner.

That was in 1990.

Tonight, 24 years later, something came over me and I fixed two boxes of Hamburger Helper for dinner.

Everyone hated it.

They hated the smell, the taste, the consistency. They thought it tasted fake.

Do people really eat this stuff? they asked.

Then the boys sang my praises. They were grateful for grilled panini, homemade tortellini, tuna spaghetti, minestrone ... the list went on.

And as I basked in the glow of their compliments, I was thinking that I should have fixed Hamburger Helper for them a long time ago.



Walking in Torre Annunziata outside of Naples, Italy
Summer 2010

3 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

My son has eaten in finer restaurants than I, yet he loves HH. When he was a vegetarian, he would have me make it with those fake meat crumbles (after carefully reading the box for any real meat ingredients.)

I hate the stuff!

He'd smile if I offered to make it tonight.

So weird.

tiziana said...

Sono andata a cercare cos'รจ l'Hamburger Helper. Dalle scatole sembra una cosa buona, sei sicura che sono migliori i tortellini?
La prossima volta che vengo voglio assaggiarli, intanto ho chiesto a Luciano se mi porta i Macaroni and Cheese dal Canada.
Che bella la foto.
CIAO!!

Lisa said...

We did this with TV dinners once, and nothing since has made them appreciate Mamma's cooking more. But your cooking, Bia, leaves mine in the dust!