An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Monday, February 20, 2012

I put a piece of paper under my pillow, and when I could not sleep I wrote in the dark.

The above quote by Henry David Thoreau has absolutely nothing to do with this post. Except that it reminds me of sleeping. Which reminds me of matresses. Which reminds me of mattress shopping.

Which is exactly what Joe and I will be doing today.

Our furniture is arriving at the end of the month and we need to have a mattress ready and waiting.

Over the past few weeks we have been looking, but it's not easy with the staggering amount of styles available: Firm. Extra firm. Plush firm. Pillow top. Foam. Then, to add to the confusion, almost every mattress brand begins with the letter S: Sealy, Simmons, Serta, Stearns & Foster, Sleep Number (repeat them over and over and you'll feel like taking a nap).

The only person who actually likes mattresses shopping is Timothy. The minute we enter a store he takes off. Bounce, bounce, bounce ... from one bed to the next. His feet never touched the floor the entire time we're in there.

Enough of this madness. Today we're getting a mattress. Today.

And with Tigger in school, there will be no distractions.

5 comments:

tiziana said...

Mi immagino Tigger Timothy che salta da un materasso all'altro con la faccina furbetta!! Troppo bello!!!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

The wonderful thing about Tiggers...

Our pillow top was horrible. Brad's body impressed upon it so deeply that that was a hole of sorts in the top. It wasn't a cheap bed either.

So, for his back we did the sleep number. Apparently, I'm the only one without a number as I couldn't care less about which number it was set at in the store, and since purchasing it have no idea what "my" number is set to now. Brad's back disease has caused him less pain with this bed, so that's all that matters.

I can't believe you made your little guy go to school!

;)

Ua said...

Funny - we all went looking at sofas on Saturday and Thomas did the same thing - jumping (with his bottom) on every sofa he could find!

Suburban Correspondent said...

I went mattress shopping recently, too! Ours is 15 years old and we want to size down to a queen so that I can rearrange the bedroom (well, I want to rearrange the bedroom, Larry couldn't care less) and I CANNOT believe how expensive mattresses are!

Wendy said...

Praying you have better success than we did. We recently moved our old mattress to the guest bedroom and purchased a new Sealy pillowtop for $1300, only to discover that it is far too firm for our comfort. The comfort guarantee sadly required that you purchase up (another $600 was the cheapest option), thus the new mattress is now in the guest room and we are back on the old mattress feeling sad about the sour purchase. May your nights on your new mattress be blissful!