An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

See? I'll Never Learn to Speak Southern

Yesterday I wrote a heartfelt post about our first move to the Deep South in which I tried to convey the difficulty of those first years when I was trying to figure it all out and trying desperately to fit in.

I think I made my point better than I realized.

Last night I learned the expression I used yesterday is supposed to be smack-dab and NOT dab-smack.

I would say something right now, but what I'm thinking is not exclusively southern and it's definitely not lady-like.

3 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

My son goes to grad school in Baton Rouge, and he used the word "fixin'" over break.

I almost fell over.

Seems he's learning just fine. Or not...

tiziana said...

Purtroppo non capisco cosa significhi, comunque che bella immagine hai trovato.
CIAO

Becky wisner said...

As a native southerner, I read the dab smack and just thought you were in a hurry and typing too fast......it was a great blog.....sorry if people were critical.