An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, February 10, 2012

Life Lately: What I do When I am Doing Nothing

In Italian there is a saying, e` dolce far niente, which translated loosely means how sweet it is to do nothing. The saying has absolutely nothing to do with idleness; rather, it's about pausing to live life to the fullest and appreciating the moment you are in, without conscious thought of yesterday or tomorrow.

In the hurricane of our busy lives, e` dolce far niente is about finding the eye of the storm, and letting the world go on without us. It's taking the time to linger over a morning cappuccino, abandoning a chore to go splash in a puddle, or taking a drive in the country and going where the road takes you.

Ironically, in doing nothing you're really doing something ... just not what life dictates.

So, in 7 quick takes, here is what I like to do when I am doing nothing.



E` Dolce Far Niente

~1~ Sip a cappuccino and read the newspaper in its entirety.

~2~ Study travel books.

~3~ Walk leisurely ... in the mountains, on a beach, or in the woods.

~4~ Linger over a meal.

~5~ Spend a rainy Saturday afternoon watching a movie marathon.

~6~ Enjoy a decadent dessert ... just because.

~7~ Sit in an outdoor cafe and people watch.

************

Now go visit Betty Beguiles for more quick takes ... she has a book coming out soon!

6 comments:

Kate Wicker said...

I love this post. I'm trying to learn to practice the art of doing nothing more frequently. It has a much better ring in Italian, I must say!

tiziana said...

Ah! Il "dolce far niente". Per me è quando resto ancora un po' a letto mentre gli altri sono andati via - è camminare lungo la spiaggia in una giornata autunnale - è gettare un sasso nel lago e guardare il cerchio che diventa sempre più grande - è ammirare un tramonto rosso di fuoco - è accarenzzare il gattino che ho sulle ginocchia.....è............. quante cose belle si possono fare nel "dolce far niente".
PS: ogni volta che apro il tuo blog e vedo i numeri 1 - 2 - 3....
mi chiedo: "Ma è già venerdì"?

Jessica Snell said...

I would talk your #3 any day of the week! Whenever I walk in the mountains (esp. if I'm backpacking) I think that there is nothing else a human being ought to do but this. Just walking in the green. It's what we were made for, it feels like.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

You have such a lovely life!

jen said...

i loooooove to people-watch!

Jennifer said...

I love your little 'nothings'. I have six children and I am realising that I need to do more 'nothing' before I have 'nothing' left!! Sometimes everything is just so so so BUSY in spite of your best efforts, so thank you for reminding me to tonight instead of mopping the floor, put on a nice movie and open a bottle of wine and just do nothing together with my husband.