An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, March 2, 2012

Life Lately: All things Italian

~1~ The American West Wind has been blowing through our home. You know, the WEST WIND, as in ...

Me: "Sweetie, please roll the trash can down the driveway."
Son: SIGH!

And that sigh, so exaggerated, so full of angst, so weighed down with the burdens of the world, is what we call in our home . . . THE WEST WIND.

The other day it was blowing more than usual, and in exasperation I finally asked, "Excuse me, is that the WEST WIND I hear?"

After a moment of panicked silence, I hear, "Uh, no, it's just a little breeze blowing in from the southeast."

~2~ The West Wind blows just as strongly in Italy, but instead of sighing you say Uffa! (pronounced ooo-fa). Uffa is a word that sounds like a sigh and a sigh that sounds like a word. I hear it a lot when I am with my cousins, and it conveys exactly the same meaning as our west wind.

Now, I am admittedly a little biased with all things Italian, but the breathless Uffa sounds, well, actually very nice.

So I think I'll teach my boys how to do the WEST WIND in Italian because, after all, if they're going to indulge in teenage grumpiness, they may as well sound nice in the process!

~3~ Vincent has a new Web site. Check it out here. He recommends the Italian life for everyone.

~4~ How about some pope stories ...

~5~ Minestrone alla Toscana? Page 287. How about Penne All'Arrabbiata? Page 349. Recently, the same sister in law who gave me these, also sent me The Silver Spoon, which is the bible of authentic Italian home cooking. Il Cucchiaio d'Argento was originally published in 1950 by the famous Italian design and architectural magazine Domus, and it became an instant classic.



~6~ To continue with my Italian theme ... you know how in the Godfather movies, whenever la famiglia has to hide out for a while, they go to the mattresses? The only reason I am mentioning this is because our mattress is coming today.

Uffa, it's about time.

~7~ Gotto go ... delivery people are here!

*now go visit Jen at Conversion Diary. She's desperately trying to set up a meeting with Vatican astronomer Br. Guy Consolomagno.

5 comments:

deanna said...

Love the Nonna videos. My favorite part was counting the change, reminded me of my Nonna!

Father Pablo said...

The spesa video was hilarious. When my grandma would visit, she'd always try the grapes before buying, and at the Fresh Market would open the bins with nuts and other things to taste them. I enjoyed it.

Sarah said...

West Wind -- love it! also, #5, thanks for the book recommendation. I was just thinking I wanted a good Italian cookbook!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

Yay, no more floor! Well, the floor is still there, but you're not on it. Yay!

tiziana said...

Che bella l'idea del vento del west; a casa mia qualche giorno c'è il vento del nord, del sud, dell'est e dell'ovest, però dopo si calma tutto. "Il cucchiaio d'argento", ma è fantastico...che brava tua cognata, conosce davvero quello che ti fa più piacere.
E adesso basta UFFA!!!! stasera dormirai in bel soffice letto che profumerà di nuovo.
CIAO!!!