Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Boy, Oh Boy

I'm surrounded by boys, and sometimes ...

Sometimes, after spending all day cooking, I wish they would linger over the meal and not wolf everything down in two seconds.

Sometimes, I could do with less wrestling matches in the house.

Sometimes, I'd like someone to go to the mall with me and not act like they're being tortured.

Sometimes, I would like to watch a Saturday afternoon movie instead of basketball, football, or golf.

Sometimes, I get tired of tripping over size 12 sneakers all over the place.

Sometimes, I wish for something pink in my house.

Sometimes, I'd like to walk into a clean boys' bathroom.

And sometimes ... sometimes when they sing in the shower, or lean over my shoulder to see what I am writing, or kneel as we pray together as a family, or show me their latest essay, or plant a sloppy kiss on my cheek ... then I think I wouldn't have it any other way.




These photos were taken seven years ago and, just this morning, I wore that very same skirt to church. I'm just saying ...

5 comments:

tiziana said...

Che meravigliose fotografie!! No, non hai bisogno di avere nulla di rosa in casa, nessun colore può essere migliore di quello che hai già.
Un bacione
PS: ma perchè i bambini crescono?

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

Having grown up with three older brothers, and having one son, but being a daughter made me laugh when I read this.

Girls leave their shoes all over too, and I was a pain to shop with! My friend Rose has two daughters, and she used to have her husband take them shopping. Moms and daughters have too much to argue about.

As for the bathroom, my husband cleans ours--and he had two brothers. I wonder how he lived through that...

All THAT randomness shared, I'm glad I have a son too!

Ua said...

Aw, I love that picture with you and the boys on the stairs. How do they grow up so fast!!! And I agree with you - I complain, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

clare said...

I TOTALLY get this. I'm mother to seven sons, ranging in ages from 26 to 14. Our life is messy, noisy and that hockey equipment sure does smell! When our last son was born, the doctor looked at him, then at me and said,'Imagine when they're all grown and you walk down the street with seven, no wait- your husband too- with eight of them. How you're going to feel!" And he was right! God bless you and all your boys, big and small.

ML said...

I want to come next year. I will bring the flowers or whatever! Ok ...get rid of the skirt.
ML