Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Friday, March 30, 2012

How I Stumbled Into A Gardening Magazine .. in 7 quick takes

~1~ I work as a writer and have had a few things published here and there: Canticle Magazine, parish newsletters, a literary magazine. But a gardening magazine? Uhm ... no.

~2~ Don't get me wrong, I love working in the yard. I plant pansies. I have three giant ferns hanging on our front porch. I love arranging freshly cut flowers for table decorations. Every once in a while I have even grown things (I am pretty successful with basil). But a Gardener is an entirely different level, and I am so not there.

~3~ And yet, here is the April issue of Georgia Gardening and there, on page 32, is an article entitled Outdoor Living: Tips To Get More For Less. I am mentioned in that article, along with photos of our outdoor brick patio/fire pit/seating area.








~4~ You see, my friend Mary Louise writes for the magazine. Mary Louise is a Master Gardener ... something I most definitely am not. But when she heard that Joe and I were creating an outdoor seating area, she asked us to chronicle the process.

~5~ Here's my favorite line from her article: My friend Maria is a creative do-it-yourselfer. She tackles many home projects and completes them with the finesse of a true designer.

~6~ Stop it, I'm blushing.

~7~ My family, supportive as ever, keeps asking: How in the world did you get into a gardening magazine?

I would be insulted, but I keep asking myself the very same thing.


*now go visit Jen at Conversion Diary, she likes castaway stories.

10 comments:

Mary Louise said...

Number 6 has me in stitches!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

I know the answer, I know!

Because your house is fabulous, your taste is impeccable, and it's really more of a patio thing than a garden thing. (And there's nothing wrong with that!)

deanna said...

Love the patio, outdoor space. Slightly envious of it, truth be told:)

tiziana said...

WOW!! Che onore!! Devo dire che il tuo stile è inconfondibile anche fuori nel giardino. CHE BELLO!!!
Però non capisco che cosa è quell'oggetto al centro, cosa serve?

Jenny Bradford said...

It's so beautiful and restful! Congrats!!

Cari said...

That's a great looking idea! I think I may have to imitate some of that "finesse of a true designer" and see if I can convince the husband to recreate the look!

jen said...

congratulations!

Jennifer said...

Bia, I love your photos! We are trying to get our own garden into shape just now so this has given me some inspiration. On another note I have tagged you on a post, it's just a fun game and an idea for a blog post if you want to join in, Jennifer x

Monica said...

That is so totally cool that your yard is in a magazine!

I get to say I almost know someone sorta famous! Cool

GrandmaK said...

You have me laughing out loud!!! You have some very handsome sons. They come from very sturdy stock!! ;0) Cathy