An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Around the bend


All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today.
~Indian proverb


Whatever I can do, my sister and brother can do better.

When I was in the sixth grade I got a guitar. I studied chords, practiced rhythms, and for two years took lessons. After I married I even played in a folk choir. Both my siblings picked up the guitar much later in life, and they had a natural talent: while in med school, my brother was in a band (Sulcus Groove) and in 2004 they were even featured in a 12 Bands of Christmas cd; my sister not only plays, but she has a good voice, too, which is something I do not have. Today she is in charge of the music at her church.

Then, even though I attended a medical magnet school, went on a 10-day mission trip to Haiti, and always thought I'd do something in the medical field, I lost my way after high school. Nothing traumatic, I just didn't know what I wanted to do. Today my brother is the doctor in the family.

And then there is this: despite the fact that I am a writer, that I sometimes have my work featured in the guest column of our local newspaper, and that I even had some freelance work published, it is my brother and sister who have published books. My sister has written two books on careers in Library Science (Straight from the Stacks, Working in the Virtual Stacks), and she and my brother collaborated on a book entitled, Answers to the Health Questions People Ask in Libraries.

You can find all these books on Amazon dot com.

I'm not being modest, or self-deprecating; I am simply learning to be honest with myself. For a long time now I have realized that, while I seem to be good at many things, I am not great at any one thing.

Does that make me mediocre? No, and the reason I can say so with all honesty is that I am always trying and learning new things. I am full of ideas and, who knows, maybe that one thing I can be great at is still out there.

Somewhere.

4 comments:

tiziana said...

Scommetto che nessuno dei tuoi fratelli ha una foto del proprio giardino pubblicata in un giornale...eh! eh! scherzo...io penso che ognuno di voi tre ha delle qualità speciali e uniche!!!
PS: sto pensando...cosa faccio meglio delle mie sorelle?
Non ho un lavoro..non suono..non ballo..non canto..non scrivo..
AIUTOO!!..però leggo e rispondo al tuo blog con grandissimo piacere..

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

How about being a great mom?

A great wife?

A great friend?

A great listener?

A great Catholic?

Ua said...

Bia, you are great in ALL that you do!!! And your writing skills are awesome, as evidenced by the increasing assignments you're getting for your articles. And I know you will finish that SPECIAL PROJECT someday and it will be a HIT!!!

Love, Ua (the Sister), who has only written very boring books, and who is still a beginner at the guitar

Christopher said...

You are great at being an aunt... :) And yes, I DO still read your blog. Haha!