An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, May 4, 2012

Life Lately: A Vacuum Cleaner for Mother's Day, Chitlins, and a Fitness Assessment

~1~ My husband and I bought a vacuum cleaner today. As we were walking out of Best Buy he wondered if our new Hoover could be considered my Mother's Day present.

No comment.

~2~ See this little guy? He is the very same little guy who just last Sunday, during a beautiful homily about vocations, whispered in my ear Paul Blart, Mall Cop and then giggled. Today he read during the May Crowning Mass. He cleans up nicely on occasion.


~3~ At this same Mass we sang Hail, Holy Queen Enthroned Above, and the refrain of O, Maria brought back such wonderful memories of my Nonna. When I was a little girl my Nonna would nudge me and wink whenever we sang a hymn with "Maria" in the verses. It was a special thing, Nonna (Maria) and I (also a Maria), sharing a name with the Holy Mother.

~4~ Our family joined the Kroc Center for the summer, and this morning Joe and I went for a fitness assessment. I'm not sure how I felt about being measured, weighed, and tested next to my husband who LOVES numbers and analyzes everything. And it's most annoying being measured and weighed next to my husband who is naturally lean. At least I beat him on the number of abdominal crunches ... I can take comfort in that.

~5~ Most of America has the Kentucky Derby, across the river in Aiken, SC we have an annual Lobster Race. Really. It's always held the day before the Kentucky Derby (so there's no competition, see?) and my son is going with a friend. But in case you miss it, there is a Chitlin' Strut festival in November ... and that would be chitlins', as in hog intestines.

~6~ Borrowed Season 1 of Downton Abbey from a friend, and I'm hooked.

~7~ Why is May so always so insane? May Crowning, First Communion, Mother's Day, the birthday of every single person in my sister's family, zoo field trip, field day, end of school activities ... the list goes on. Oh, and let's not forget about the Lobster Race.

Have a great weekend, and be sure to check out Jen at Conversion Diary. She has a creepy video of a scorpion that wouldn't die.

3 comments:

deanna said...

Downton Abbey, hooked as well. Really need to get my hands on season 2. This is when I wish for tv reception.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

May. My lesson plan book is written in pencil for a reason. I work them harder than they have worked all year, and wrapped around that (strangling us) is a list of specials activities that would have served us all had they been spaced out throughout the year but instead have been saved for May.

Eep!

What to do? Keep running and enjoy every moment! (That use of "running," it's figurative.)

tiziana said...

Una gara di aragoste? Ma perchè qui da noi non fanno una cosa così interessante? Andrei subito a vederla!
Buon mese di maggio e congratulazioni per il bel regalo della festa della mamma, veramente "originale"!