An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, May 25, 2012

Bad Nonno Jokes, Hobbity Greetings, a New BFF ... in 7 quick takes

~1~ So Nonno isn't the most talkative one in the family. But sometimes when we're sitting around the dinner table, and if there is a momentary lull in the conversation (rare, but it happens), he'll come up with a story, tall tale, or a really bad joke (all of which are very popular with the boys). This was last Sunday's joke:

Tommy was sitting in his first grade class when all of a sudden he raised his hand.

"Ms. Lewis, may I please go to the bathroom?" he asked.

"Why certainly," said Ms. Lewis. "But first recite the alphabet for me."

"A-B-C-D-E-F-G," he says. "H-I-J-K-L-M-N-O-Q-R-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z!"

"Why that's very good!" said Ms. Lewis. "But what happened to the 'P'?"

Tommy looks embarrassed.

"It's running down my leg."

~2~ Did you know that die-hard Tolkien fans often greet each other with a hobbity kind of greeting? Evidently they do. For example: May the hair on your toes grow ever longer.

Consider yourself enlightened.

~3~ Sharpened pencils -- colored or otherwise -- make me happy.


~4~ See this bottle of McDonald's ketchup? It was purchased in Italy. Go figure.


~5~ I have a new BFF. Tim is one of the trainers at the Kroc Center, and he did my personal fitness assessment when we joined. He has taken my fitness (or lack thereof) to heart, and pushes me encourages me to push myself hard. It's like having Jiminy Cricket on my shoulder whispering, Are you sure you're running at a fast enough pace? Isn't that weight too light? When Joe went to work out one Sunday, Tim wanted to know why I wasn't there. It was Mother's Day, and I felt bad that I didn't go. But it's all good; I like having someone to answer to, and earlier this week when I went twice in one day ... Tim was proud of me.

~6~ During the summer I am going to have one computer free day every week. Totally computer free. This means no checking email or facebook. No YouTube or Google. Nothing. I just have to decide which day to do it.

~7~ Saturday. I decided.

*now, go visit jen and conversion diary ... she has a British tea house story to tell.

2 comments:

deanna said...

Love Nonno jokes, my dad has a few he tells over and over, mostly they are from before he was a nonno:)

tiziana said...

Bella la barzelletta di Dwight, lui sì che sa essere spiritoso (eh! eh!).
Anche a me piacciono molto le matite colorate. Pensa che Chiara da quando ha cominciato da piccola la scuola, ha sempre tenuto le punte delle matite rotte e le ha messe in un barattolo di vetro.
Adesso quel barattolo contiene centinaia di punte di matite colorate ed è veramente carino guardarlo.
Se ci sei riuscita a non aprire oggi il computer, leggerai i miei saluti domani...CIAOOOOOO!!!