An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Harmony with Nature?

Every spring I hang three ferns on our front porch.

Ferns1,2,3
Every morning I walk out our front door to water those ferns.

Our front door
Every year the same thing happens: As I approach a fern to water it, a bird blasts out of the plant with an explosion of wings and feathers.

And every time it happens it just about gives me a heart attack.

This year, though, not only is there an occupant in fern #2, but we also have her.

Perched under our front porch
The first morning I walked out she flew from her nest and perched on a Crepe Myrtle nearby, chirping and squawking and hopping mad.

I felt bad, but gosh darn it I needed to water those ferns.

So the next morning I took a deep breath, invoked the help of St. Francis of Assisi, and opened the front door.

Good morning Mommy Bird. I'm going to walk very slowly and water my ferns. I won't hurt you, or your babies; in fact, I am a good friend of St. Francis. You know him, don't you?

I spoke softly, I walked slowly, and although she eyed me suspiciously, I watered and she stayed in her nest.

And so it has become our routine. Harmony with nature, right?

No. There is still that occupant in fern #2 who, even though I know it's coming, still gives me a heart attack.

Every single time.

2 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

I was at a local flea market yesterday, and I considered buying a fern. I was sad when I got home that I had not.

Now? Hm...

tiziana said...

Che bello l'uccellino nel suo nido! Probabilmente quello che vive nella felce non conosce San Francesco e i suoi amici e ogni giorno si chiederà come mai quella "specie di essere umano" continui a bagnare il suo nido e disturbare la sua intimità.
Sono certa che penserà: "Ma possibile che ogni anno sia sempre la stessa storia? Ma perchè non si cercano un altro nido dove abitare e mi lasciano stare nella mia felce?"
CIP! CIP! CIP!
storia