An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Situation

Yesterday Joe left for a three day trip to Albuquerque, and that afternoon the van wouldn't start.

Husband out of town, dead car battery. Go figure.

This isn't the first time a car situation has happened when Joe was out of town. Just last year I discovered the hard way how many Italians it takes to change a flat tire (the answer: Maria, Massimilla, Italia, and Stella).

In fact, a lot of things happen when Joe goes out of town. Where was he when we rented our house two days before Spring Break and I had to clean, pack, and get the entire house/yard ready all by myself? Kansas City. Where was he when we had an ice storm and lost power for three days? Los Alamos. When we were battling snakes? Oakland.  When I backed into a parked trailer and broke a tail light? I don't know, somewhere.

Anyway, so this time it was a dead car battery. I should also mention that it was raining, that I was blocking our piano teacher's driveway, and that while I was checking under the hood Timothy was standing on an anthill.

I called Nicholas, and with a little help we hooked up jumper cables. The car still wouldn't start.

The battery was dead, dead, dead.

So, what does a gal do when her husband is out of town? I called my Dad. This is twice in two weeks that my Dad has been my hero (remember the snake?).

I purchased a new battery at AutoZone, and my Dad and Nicholas installed the new one. Oh, did I mention it was raining? While they were loosening bolts and bruising knuckles I was the umbrella holder.

Anyway, a half hour piano lesson turned into a three hour situation ...
and my husband was out of town.


Bia the umbrella holder

7 comments:

GrandmaK said...

I always counted on something going wrong when Ron was out of town!!! No I'm not a fatalist, it just happens!!! Thank God for Dad's!!! My best to you! Cathy

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

Wow, you dress funny in Georgia.

Suburban Correspondent said...

My husband is going away for 2 weeks, and I'm terrified we'll have another bat incident.

tiziana said...

Sì, è vero, a volte gli uomini servono, soprattutto se il problema riguarda la macchina.
Nelle mie preghierine non dimentico mai di dire al Signore:"Ti prego fa che non si buchi una gomma della macchina e che non si fermi per nessun motivo" Spero mi ascolti!!(eh! eh!)

Jennifer said...

That exact same thing happened to me outside the piano teacher's house a while back. While I was waiting for the breakdown man the teacher invited me to wait inside, sonInsat for an hour with her husband watching tv and he completely ignored me, I was so embarrassed!!!

Ua said...

I think Joe plans these things so you will truly value him when he gets back. Did you check to see if the battery had been sabotaged??

Do Not Be Anxious said...

Aw, come one. If he were in town you'd still be just as mad or frustrated, only now you would have someone to gripe to, and then maybe he'd be mad or frustrated, too. Then you'd feel guilty over something that couldn't be avoided, and you'd feel you have to make it up to him by making him a special meal or buying him something. And then you'd be neglecting the kids who would start acting up.

Some him being out of time saved you even more frustration, time and effort, and maybe even money. Use your blog to take out your frustrations; it's cheaper (and will keep your hubby happier.)