An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, May 18, 2012

Lizards, Giraffes, and Finding True Love (in 7 quick takes)

 ~1~ At the zoo earlier this week my son and his friends were feeding the giraffes. When a beautiful giraffe lowered his head toward my son, he held up a lettuce leaf and said, "The Body of Christ." Can you tell he had his First Communion just last week?

~2~ Exactly one day after my snake encounter, there was a lizard in our laundry room. It didn't move when I nudged it, so I slipped a dustpan underneath it and was walking to the back door when the thing resurrected. I just about had a heart attack. My boys came running when they heard me scream, and Nicholas gallantly stepped in, scooped it up, and took it outside.

~3~ The lizard incident took place five minutes before I was supposed to leave for the airport to pick up my husband. Then, as I am trying to make up time, I got caught by a train. But that's okay because when I got to the airport the plane had just landed. Waiting by the arrival gate was a young mom with her two year old son holding a big sign that said, WELCOME HOME, DADDY. A few minutes later his father walked out, wearing army fatigues, and everyone clapped and cheered. Airports really should have tissue boxes around the arrival gate area.

~4~ For an article I was doing on Adoration, I interviewed a Florida police officer who has been spending time before the Blessed Sacrament once a week for the past 17 years. He told me he has been blessed with the gift of a grateful heart, which is all the more amazing when you consider he's on a task force investigating Internet crimes against children. He also said the time spent in adoration returns throughout the week with comfort and insight when you need it most. He really inspired me to go to adoration more often.

~5~ For another article, I interviewed an 89 year old woman who had some wonderful stories on what it was like to be a Catholic growing up in the Deep South during the 30's and 40's. She often tells her granddaughters the secret to finding true love is to see how their "fellow" treats his mother. Case in point, the first time she met her husband's family he put his arms around his mother and danced her across the kitchen floor. That was the exact moment when she fell in love. They were married for 51 years.

~6~ Ordinary, every day people are just wonderful (see #4 and #5 above).

~7~ This weekend we're getting a new dishwasher. In a two week period we've purchased a laptop, a diswasher, and a vacuum cleaner. Honestly, I don't know which of the three excites me the most.

Now, go visit Jen at Conversion Diary. She sometimes feels the need to speak Czech in Texas.

3 comments:

:o) mg said...

If you are able to sit at your laptop while others in your family use the other two new appliances, I'd say you had it made in the shade. Also, that you might be a brat. LOL ;)

tiziana said...

Il tuo blog del venerdì mi piace veramente tanto, mi fa ridere ma anche riflettere però....la parte che mi è piaciuta di più è senz'altro il numero 1
Eh! Eh! troppo simpatico.
PS: il mio gattino è bravissimo a prendere le lucertole

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

I love the giraffe communion! It reminds me of when my brother and I used to squish bread and play communion.