An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, June 1, 2012

Life Lately: A Room with a View, etc.

~1~ I hope not, because I am going to talk about doughnuts, the British accent, and nudity.

~2~ Last week I watched A Room with a View. I had forgotten how much I liked this movie, and while I don't generally espouse nudity in movies, the skinny dipping scene with George, Freddy, and the Mr. Beebe always has me rolling on the floor with laughter.

At the Pensione Bertolini.

~3~ I originally saw this movie with someone I was seriously in love with but who is now a Franciscan priest.

~4~ As long as we're discussing the British ... I recently borrowed Season 1 of Downton Abbey and was hooked. Then I languished for two weeks waiting to borrow Season 2. Today in Costco I caved and bought it.

~5~ Guess what I'll be doing while Joe and the boys watch the Celtics play tonight?

~6~ Oh, and about the British accent ... when I graduated from high school my parents sent me to Italy all by myself. Three weeks later I returned home, bringing with me my aunts, uncles, and a cousin. The trip back involved an overnight stay in London and, since I was the only English-speaking person in the group, everyone depended on me to get us to the hotel. I asked directions from a proper English gentleman, but BLIMEY! if I understood a word of it. Not one word. My relatives thought this was terribly funny.

~7~ Since today was National Doughnut Day -- and yes, we got our free doughnuts -- here are some words of wisdom:  An optimist sees the doughnut; the pessimist sees the hole.

Now go visit Jen at Conversion Diary for some more Quick Takes ... she is trying to decide what to wear for a television appearance.

3 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

In the winter of '92, I went to London all by myself. Horribly tired from the flight over, I didn't know how to get to my hotel. So I stopped and asked a man who was sweeping a sidewalk. Ah yes.

I still didn't know how to get to my hotel.

Suburban Correspondent said...

I LOVE that movie!

tiziana said...

Luciano ha deciso che il primo venerdì di giugno dell'anno prossimo deve essere per forza lì da voi...non capisco proprio il perchè!!
Chiara capisce bene l'accento British perchè da anni, ogni settima, ha un'ora di lezione con una classica anziana signora British, che più British non si può. Poi quest'estate andrà per 15 giorni a Dublino per una vacanza studio.
Buon weekend!! (anche questo sabato niente computer)?