An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

La Nonna Moderna ... in her own words

So, in Monday's post I poked fun at my mom, the "modern" Nonna.  She immediately wrote a long comment, but accidentally deleted it when she tried to submit it.

So then she emailed me her response and wanted me to post it in the comment section.

But I thought it deserved its own post. So here's my Mom, la Nonna Moderna, in her own words ...

Ma-va-la'!!! Modern nonna....How can anyone accuse me of becoming a modern nonna? Have you all forgotten the struggle and confusion that I face when I am confronted with all of these modern gadgets ? I thought that the purpose of modern tecnology was to make life easier, not a nightmare!!!!

Take the cell phone for example. My old one was so easy to use: when it rang I just lifted the top and begin to speak. That's it. Basta. Now I have a new one. I liked it from the beginning because it has a modern, pretty fuscia color and I was promised that I could do sooooo many things with it.

But there is a problem....my fingers don't seem to be quick enough or gentle enough to do anything with it. Just trying to make a phone call is a disaster. First I have to push a button on the side of the gadget. Then I am ordered to slide the finger up the surface to unlock it and to find the picture of a green telephone. But the picture of the green telephone slides up too fast and disappears. So I try to slide the finger down searching for the little green phone, but a number of strange icons appear and I don't know what to do. With great frustration I push a couple of buttons (sometimes this helps) but all of a sudden all colors disappear and a strange message in black and white fills the screen with the words "Are you sure you want to do this?" .

Mamma Mia!!!! I need every other Sunday off to concentrate on my new telephone.....
Nonna and Nonno with all nine of their grandchildren
November 2011

3 comments:

tiziana said...

AH! AH! Io ho ancora il mio vecchissimo telefono (scartato da tutti) ma guai a chi me lo tocca!!!!
Di noi tre sorelle solo la Paola è super tecnologica, mentre io e te, viviamo ancora nel mondo sei sogni e delle poesie.
Comunque skype lo sappiamo usare e questo ci basta.
Cara Millie, non sarai una nonna moderna, ma hai nove splendidi nipotini e questo è sicuramete più importante.
PS: anch'io faccio un po' fatica ad inviare la risposta del blog a Maria e mi servono doppi occhiali per decifrare il codice. (sig!)

Ua said...

Poor Nonna! I can just picture her with that phone!! Hilarious! No wonder she NEVER CALLS ME anymore. (hee, hee!)

Do Not Be Anxious said...

Hmm. What a timely post for me. My friends think I have gone off the deep end since I killed Rachael last week. You know Rachael? The one who seems to call every day and say: "Hi! This is Rachael from cardholder services ...." and then tries to imply something is wrong with your credit card.

I finally got so mad I called AT&T and asked how I could block that caller (which constantly changes its number). They said there was no way, so I said I know a way: Cancel my service! The AT&T operator said "But you need a land line in an emergency." And then I ranted back: "If I have an emergency, I'll write a letter to the police department!!" She got the message, and now my phone is blessedly quiet.

(I never got the iphone like your momma; I just got rid of the WHYphone.)