An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, August 31, 2012

Life Lately: Oreos at Mass, Synchronized Swimming, Frizz Reduction

1. Oreos at Mass: Fridays are when the third graders attend Mass, so today Joe and I decided to go and surprise our little guy. He sat sandwiched between us, and after communion he whispers, "They must have mixed oreos with the host because that's what it tasted like."

I didn't even know how to respond to that one.

2. Games at Mass: Every Sunday, after communion is over, our two oldest sons (a sophomore and a senior) do this thing: they pick up the hymnal, open it at random, and then wait until the hymn is announced to see who was closest. This involves whispering, grinning, flipping pages, and (sometimes) a fist pump.

They're being goofy, and I should probably say something, but it's something the two of them share so I leave them alone.

3. Frizz Reduction: Most of you know about my hair which has this teeny tendency to frizz when it's humid (which, living in the south, is pretty much all the time). I've discovered a product that helps. Mind you, it doesn't solve the problem, but it helps ... kinda sorta.

Kinda sorta is good enough for me.



4. Ten Pounds and Counting. Enough said.

5. Laugh Out Loud Funny.



6.  Suddenly I'm Popular. With our eldest up to his eyebrows in college applications, he has a new found appreciation for his mom, the writer. I am the Proofreading Queen, the Topic Sentence Guru, and the Idea Lady.

7. When I'm 80, I hope I'm Having this Much Fun.


6 comments:

tiziana said...

E troppo bello leggere il tuo blog del venerdì e quello che succede nella tua famiglia.
Non oso far vedere il video a Luciano perchè chissà cosa direbbe. Sicuramente dovrei chiudermi bene le orecchie per non sentire il commento.

Kathleen Basi said...

Your church anecdotes? Hi-larious. :)

Along with the comic.

As for frizz, I use Fructis cream-gel and it does a good job keeping the curls defined.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I may try the Suave, did you ever try the Fructis?

Love the hymnal game, and your communion has our crackers beat!

jen said...

Regarding #2, I *totally* do that with the Psalm during Morning Prayer with my Episcopal priest friend. She gets a kick out of it.

Jennifer said...

I love the game at Mass, it's personal to them and they'll always remember it. I'll bet Jesus gets a bit of fun from it too.
Those cool ladies have encouraged me to get back in action...to the pool with me!!

tiziana said...

Mi è venuta in mente un'altra cosa:
ti immagini me, la Paola e la Millie fare il nuoto sincronizzato? Forse siamo ancora troppo giovani, ma tra qualche anno...non ci fermerà nessuno.