An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

In Which I Have a Most Snarky Thought

Today I was cashing a check at the bank when I handed the teller my driver's license.

"Hey!" she remarked. "We have the same birthday!"

"It's a great day to have a birthday," I said, smiling hugely.

All of a sudden she stopped what she was doing and looked up.

"Well," she says.  "I say the same birthday but obviously ... well, you know, it wasn't the same year. Your birthday was way before mine. I mean mine is, like, 20 years later."

A lady standing next to me smiled sympathetically and grimaced.

Okay, then.

Well.

Now here's the thing ... WHO SAYS STUFF LIKE THAT?

I didn't even have a clever or witty response. Nothing.

But as I was walking to my car I had a thought. A very snarky thought. A very grinch-like, meany pants thought. The kind of thought that made me embarassed that it had even popped into my head.

The kind of thought that made me smile.

Sigh. I suppose you want to know what my snarky thought was ...

Nope. Not telling.

4 comments:

Bashou said...

even the best of us need reminding that the opposite of growing old is not staying young.

tiziana said...

Ma dai....poverina....un po' di comprensione....pensa che potrebbe essere tua figlia....(eh! eh! altro very snarky thought)!!!!

Bia said...


TIZI!!!

you are very bad cattiva ... ;))

Do Not Be Anxious said...

I might have said: "Yeh, you seem much less mature."