Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Shopping? Again!?


I am looking forward to when the boys come home from school this afternoon.

You see, I have plans.

With the weather turning colder, the older boys have been digging into their drawers and closets for warmer clothes and, like a nightmare, they have outgrown almost everything.

Didn't I just take them shopping? I know I took Jonathan to the mall, I definitely remember the cute sales girl flirting with Nicholas at Kohl's, and how can I forget our back-to-school shopping adventure? Really, how can those pants be too short already? And I know that shirt had long sleeves when I bought it.

Huh.

Boys. They grow fast. Who knew?

Luckily I don't have to worry about our little guy; he is set for life. Not only does he have clothes passed down to him from his brothers, but also from his older cousins. Honestly, I only do his laundry once every two weeks, and I am not kidding.

The older boys, on the other hand, I can't keep up with.

What complicates things immensely is that they hate to shop. They make excuses, they groan, they complain and, while they make it very clear what they don't like, they can't tell me what they do like.

Honestly, at this point I hate to shop with them. There. I said it.

But just as I was starting to get heart palpitations at the thought of planning another shopping excursion, I had a thought: if you can't bring the boys to the store, bring the store to the boys.

Which is exactly what I am doing. This morning I went SHOPPING, and everything I purchased is now displayed very nicely in our bedroom. It's a big room, with a big bathroom; in other words, a perfect dressing room with plenty of space to try on clothes. And while they try on lots and lots of clothes I will be sitting peacefully in the corner drinking a cappuccino.

Poor guys, they don't have any idea what's in store for them.

But so you don't think I am totally heartless, please know that I do have a plate of homemade chocolate chip cookies ready and waiting for them when they walk in the door.

I hope it helps ;)

Prediction? I'll be returning and/or exchanging most of this tomorrow.

2 comments:

Beth F said...

Winter clothes shopping drives me nuts, now that we live in South Georgia. My kids wear winter clothes for like a month, then it's packed away, never to be worn by the same kid again.

Have fun shopping.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

When I read this on facebook over lunch, I realized if you had girls, you probably wouldn't have a plate of cookies waiting. What woman would eat a cookie and then try on pants?

;)

As for hand-me-downs, I was a girl after three sons, but one year I received some hand-me-downs from the girls across the street. I was in fashion heaven...for one season. Sigh.