An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Birthday Wish List

Two weeks ago Jonathan handed me a five page report. It was typed and included pictures which accompanied the text. It was a very nice presentation.

Except it wasn't a school report ... it was a birthday wish list.

He gave me a wish list in mid-September for his birthday which comes at the end of October.

"Don't you think this is a bit early?" I asked.

"No, I just wanted to give you some time," he replied. "Some of that stuff you can only get online."

"Hmmm." I replied. "Well, you do know that a wish list is just that ... a wish list. There are no guarantees."

"I know," he said. "It's also to give you some ideas."

"Well, I have a few ideas already," I admitted. "For example, I know you need new underwear, new socks, and a new pair of jeans."

"Mom!" he said, truly horrified.

Yesterday was October 1, and Jonathan reminded me that this was his birthday month and wanted to know if I had any questions about the list.

"What list?" I asked.

"Mom!"

After he left for school I pulled out the list. I'd better get going. Only 19 days left to get the underwear, socks, and jeans.



4 comments:

Ellen who is not signed into her google account! said...

My son is 26, and he told me he needed socks. He asked how much they cost. When I told him and offered to drive him to a likely sock selling store, he said no thanks. He didn't want to spend his own money on the socks. He will be truly happy to receive socks for Christmas; his birthday has already passed!

tiziana said...

Questo blog NON può finire così!!!Voglio sapere cosa Jonathan ha scritto nella lista e cosa davvero tu gli regalerai.
Bravissimo Jonathan, non preoccupanti, le lettere accompagnate da disegni sono irresistibili per noi genitori ma, cinque pagine??

Ua said...

Jonathan cracks me up! Obviously he speaks when he needs to! Love the new look of your blog, too.

Jennifer said...

Aww...what a sweetie!! Or maybe there's method in his madness, he knows you'll feel sorry for him for such a humble list that you'll pull out all the stops ;-)