Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Making a Big Difference in Small Ways


I have a beautiful nephew named Peter. He's a happy, smiling, intelligent three year old who just happens to have autism. Yesterday my sister sent me an email describing a simple kindness ... the kind that can make all the difference in the world.
 
Dear Bia
 
Every morning when I walk down the long hallway of Peter’s school, headed for his classroom with him holding my hand, he makes his loud “happy noises.” He loves school and skips and hops in his own clumsy way in his excitement to get to his classroom. Sometimes I wish he would be a little quieter, because we get puzzled looks from the older school children who pass by us in the hallway. They don’t understand why he makes those noises. And every morning, Peter looks into every classroom we pass and smiles. One particular teacher always steps into the hallway and says, “I hear Peter coming. Good morning, Peter! How are you today? I’ll see you at lunchtime!” This morning she called out to me after we passed by:

“Ms. Kane?” 
 
I turned around. “Yes?”

“I just want you to know that Peter always makes my morning.”

Wow. That really made MY morning, and I don’t even know her name!
 

6 comments:

Ua said...

Thanks, Bia!

Bia said...

I should also mention the fact that my beautiful nephew has two older brothers who love their baby brother very much.

And I love them all!

tiziana said...

Certamente basta un piccolo gesto o una parola gentile per fare speciale una giornata. Quella maestra ha senz'altro tutto quello che serve per essere una brava insegnante.
Meraviglioso Peter, ti vogliamo tanto bene.

Anonymous said...

I hope that teacher somehow gets to read this.

Bia said...

Dear Anonymous,

A teacher reached out to my sister, who told me, and I blogged about it. Laura asked Peter's teacher the identity of this teacher, and she forwarded this to her so she can know how much her kind words meant. Kindness is catching, yes?

Bia said...

Ua,

Fyi, from facebook:

Ruth, Lisa (Joe's sister), and Joann liked this.

Catherine: "Beautiful!"

Dianne: "Smiles & tears! Thanks for sharing And God Bless Peter for bringing sunshine to the mornings."