An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Monday, December 3, 2012

My Kind of Math

Over Thanksgiving our oldest was playing football with my brother on the beach and somehow -- details are sketchy -- Nicholas caught a pass, tripped, and landed in the ocean. Guess who had his cell phone in his pocket?

Rice! everyone said. Sure, I know, but our beach house pantry was packed with everything except rice. So I did the next best thing: I disassembled the phone and used my hair dryer.

Yeah! the phone still worked! Then it didn't. The next day it resurrected! Then it died.

One dead phone, for sure.

So, last Friday Joe took Nicholas' phone, went to to the Verizon store, spent an hour wheeling and dealing, and once the dust settled ... I had a new iPhone.

Huh?

Evidently, Nicholas was due for a free upgrade next month, so until then Joe transferred Nicholas' number to my very basic cell phone and (unbeknownst to me) used the opportunity to get me an iPhone 5 for Christmas.

Friday night during dinner my Christmas stocking (hung by the chimney with care) started ringing. And kept ringing until I figured out what was going on.

Merry Christmas to me!

Funny how things work out sometimes. Beach football + Nicholas and his cell phone landing in the Atlantic Ocean = new iPhone 5 for me.

Funny math, to be sure, but I like it.



P.S. And just so you don't think poor, poor Nicholas was cheated out of a new cell phone, he will get his free upgrade next month.

4 comments:

tiziana said...

AH! AH! Che bella barzelletta!!! Io penso e scrivo:
"POVERO, POVERO NICHOLAS!!! Non è giusto!!"
BUON NATALE, BIA!!

THOMAS said...

Dear Aunt Maria,
This is Thomas again. That was so funny when he fell into the ocean, but I also feel very very bad for Nicholas.And I love the picture.I learned that kind of math last year:]!

Ua said...

No fair!!!!

Do Not Be Anxious said...

The only thing I ever noticed about "free upgrades" was that it usually meant a new contract with more complex terms, the math of THAT which ended up being a higher bill next month.

I stopped upgrading, and my phone is a large clunky Motorola thingee, but it works, and my rate has stayed the same. (and I don't need no steenking apps)