An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Crying over spilled anything


Every once in a while I pick up my boys from school with a car loaded with groceries. They hate when I do that. After studying all day and slaving over their textbooks, it's not fair they have to spend the first 15 minutes when they get home unloading groceries.

Huh. I'm just mean that way. And uncool.

Anyway, the other day we were in the process of unloading groceries,when a bag ripped and an entire bottle of olive oil fell onto the garage floor. Olive oil . . . oozing everywhere.

Liquid detergent, olive oil . . . that stuff is hard to clean up. After scooping up olive oil and glass with paper towels and scrubbing the cement floor with soapy water, there was still a stain. And since it was a warm day, by evening the garage smelled like an Italian restaurant.

Then, this morning. Let's talk about splatter effect. I read crime fiction. I've seen a few episodes of CSI. So I know about the intricate science of splatter. But has anyone done a splatter experiment with MILK??

One cup of spilled milk splatters everywhere. Chair legs, bottom of the table, baseboards, and I even found evidence of splatter in the next room. Milk is sticky, too. Did you know that?

I have a good friend who is a decorator. Every once in a while she tries to convince me to put a nice area rug under my kitchen table. You have nice hardwood floors, she says, and a rug will give definition to the eating area. I think about it. I like pretty things. Definition is good. Then I see a photo of my three smiling sons.

I had to spill it out for her (that was a pun, by the way): Hello! Can you say milk? or purple Kool-Aid? or the occasional soda? or, one time, a bowl of minestrone? Can you say twice a week . . . at least?!

She got the point.

Today is Thursday, we've already had two major spills this week, so we're clear for the rest of the week. Right? I mean, law of averages and everything . . .

13 comments:

Karen said...

I completely agree with the spilled milk spatter thing. We have milk in places no milk should have ever gone.

And the rug under the table was invented for people with no kids. What are they thinking?!

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

Salt. Salt soaks up spilled grease and oil. Wish I could have let you know in time.

You should probably sprinkle some basil and oregano in the garage, just to make it smell even tastier...

Soutenus said...

I feel for ya!! Yeah, I would think that the law of averages say, "No more major spills for a awhile." But we seem to live under the theory of things happening in 3s here at our house.
Maybe "spilling the story" to us on your blog can count as the third major spill and you'll be covered!!
I LOVE the basil and oregano idea from suburbancorrespondent! :-)

Lisa said...

Smelling like an Italian Restaurant is not so bad, really. We're still waiting for our quarterly dropped pickle jar around here... I'm with Peggy, though ~ Look out for #3!

E said...

It might be too late, and I can't believe I actually know this, but olive oil spills can be erased with a bunch of baking soda.
My best friend in high school was a first generation Italian and we were very messy. Her mom taught me this....

:o) mg said...

I've had that happen before... on the back deck stairs. The grease stain will eventually go away, but I wish I had known about the salt/baking soda trick.
Speaking of baking soda and salt... if you scrub your coffee decanter with salt or b.soda, the next pot of coffee is soooo good.

Kathryn said...

Murphys Law trumps the law of averages, especially when you have a house full of boys!!!

GrandmaK said...

Well, the milk story is something with which I can identify. Stick to your guns about the rug in the dining room...Years ago we had carpet in the kitchen (was there when we bought the house). One of the kids spilled nearly 1/2 a gallon of mild on it...Then again it got spilled in the back seat of the car...no matter how you try to clean it never really goes away...AND the reminder of the spill is there on every HOT day there is in the summer...YUCK! Have a good day!!! Now it's Friday! YEAH!!! Cathy

j.a.varela said...

Hello Bia!

I´m sure you will appreciate this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxjjyXhO9EA

It´s been the most seen video yesterday in Spain.

And with so many friends as you have in the net, you can put fire all around you. Our Mother´s good fire!

Subtitles are in English.

From Uruguay,

juan varela

Bia said...

Sr. Varela,

Muchas gracias por compartir este vídeo celebrando el mes de mayo y honrando a Maria, nuestra madre.

j.a.varela said...

Bia:

Veo que puedes escribir directamente en "familia en construcción"! Tu español es académicamente perfecto!

¿Por qué no se lo dices a Don Joan? También lo puedes hacer en italiano ya que él se ofreció de "traduttore".

Have a nice week end.

j.a.varela

Wendy said...

Bia - Loved this post. I felt your pain and braced myself for our own spills tonight with ES's party. Thankfully, only a few pop spills and all in the garage.

The house we are living in now has carpet in the dining room (used to be in kitchen, too, but shortly after #3 was born, we had to have that removed and tile put in when the dishwasher was discovered to be leaking into the floorboards every time we used it - How's that for God supplying an actual need to switch to tile!). I purchased a SpotBot and have used it more times than I would have thought possible. Just this week, I had to clean chocolate milk from the carpet. My MS was amazed. He said, "Look Mommy, you can see the chocolate milk being sucked up!"

onthegomom said...

UGH... I hate spills. Thankfully we don't have much anymore... KNOCK ON WOOD!