Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Monday, January 7, 2013

Following the Star



I once read how, on our spiritual journey, one can move forward or one can move backwards, but one cannot stand still.

Moving forward or moving backwards. It makes sense, though, because if we're meant to be on a journey who wants to turn around and go back down the same way in which we have just come? How would we get anywhere?

Of course, there are moments in which we need to pause, but those moments serve to give us the strength to continue on. We are still, but our eyes, hearts, and soul are still looking ahead.

Today, as we celebrated the Feast of the Epiphany, I draw comfort from the journey the Three Wise Men took those many years ago. They did not know exactly where they were going, or even what they would find, but they looked to the heavens for both direction and guidance.

And most importantly, they never gave up. Their journey progressed; they searched until they found.

Which is comforting to me. In my spiritual journey I often stumble. I know that many times I am not making progress. Sometimes I even lose my way. But like the Three Wise Men, my journey can continue to move forward by seeking guidance from above and following that star.

As I child, this feast day seemed so exotic, so magical. Three Kings, dressed in flowing robes, following a star, bringing gifts ... it all fueled my imagination.

But today, older and wiser, I know I am not meant to be in awe of that journey.

I know am on that journey.

updated post from January 2008


9 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, wow, this is a great reflection for the day! Thank-you ~ and thanks for your kindness and support this weekend over at "my house." Getting to know you and your family has been one of the hilights of entering the blogging world. I can't tell you how encouraging your kind words are!

onthegomom said...

Beautifully written! Thanks for reminding us all. God Bless!

:o) mg said...

I feel more like the Israelites stuck in the desert most days... I recall that those folks even had some pretty darned good miracles to witness... the parting of the Red Sea, the cloud that led them, and then the manna falling out of the sky.
Then I try to focus on the smaller miracles and blessings that the Lord uses to keep me on the move to the promised land.

Kathryn said...

Great post, I never looked at my journey being like that of the WIse Men...thanks it is definatly something I will reflect on now!

Leanne said...

Wow. I love the analogy. I am constantly wondering where my journey will take me but I've never looked at it in this way before.

And,

Happy Birthdy to your boy. It is so weird that we have this connection! I hope he has a great day!

Maria said...

That is great advice for all of us.

Kellan said...

This was beautiful Bia! Thanks for the wonderful reminder that life is a journey a fabulous journey. Take care. Kellan

Sherry Harvey said...

Beautiful. Message, writing, writer.

Sherry Harvey said...

Beautiful. Message, writing, writer.