Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Sound of Silence


Be still. Wait. Can you hear that?

It's the sound of silence, and right now it's a very good sound.

Sometimes you don't realize how noisy and chaotic life is until all the noise and chaos are (poof!) gone. After two weeks of Joe (who had a huge Christmas break) and the boys home, after two weeks of the front door opening and closing (never quietly, mind you), of endless dishes and laundry, of numerous trips to the grocery store to keep the pantry stocked (breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, snack again ... see? boys eat all the time), of football games and basketball games ... well, as much as I enjoy all that busyness (and I really, really do), right now I can honestly say that I am enjoying this silence.

The boys are back in school, Joe is traveling, and I can actually hear the refrigerator humming ... ahhh.

1 comment:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Brew some tea. I'll be right down to enjoy the hum of the refrigerator with you.