Friday, February 22, 2013

Packing Light and No Worries ... in 7 quick takes


1. So, our oldest son (the senior in high school) has all of a sudden taken an interest in his appearance; he is cognizant of his table manners; he even spent all day yesterday looking for a job. And while we (his parents) would like to take credit, the real reason is this ... there is a girl.

Enough said.

2. Tuesday I had some vascular surgery done on my leg. Wednesday night Dr. Steven Roth died in a fiery plane crash.  I had just seen him the day before, we joked about the early surgery time (4:30 a.m.), he spoke with my husband. And the next day, he's gone. Just like that. There were four people from his staff on that plane with him, and I knew them, too.

I was supposed to have a follow-up appointment with him this morning.

It is so sad.

3. Sunday Joe and I leave for New Orleans. I love to travel, but while I am not a big fan of flying I'll do it because ... well, I like to travel and sometimes you cannot get from Point A to Point B without flying. Am I more apprehensive after this week's tragedy? Strangely, no. I am at peace.

Life is too short to spend time worrying. 

When we worry we become our own false prophet.

When we worry we always expect the worse ... and that is stealing from the joy that is present now.

4. Four nights and five days in New Orleans and my husband and I are packing light. Only carry-ons. We want to be unencumbered. I am looking forward to it.


Great Ideas! / Travel list


5. "Hey Timothy, guess what?" I ask, looking at him in the rear view mirror as I was driving.

"What?"

"I love you. I really, really do."

He's thinking... He's processing...

"Huh. That's not a very good guess what," he says.

Guess what? I think he was hoping I'd pull into the McDonald's drive through and get him a meal. That's the kind of guess what he was looking for.

6. A burning question: now that Downton Abbey is finished, what am I supposed to do with my Sunday evenings, hmmm? Answer me that.

7. The editor who contacted me about a post I had written about St. Joseph liked my revision (she wanted me to make it longer) and it will be published in their March issue. I'll keep you posted.


Have a wonderful weekend. I'll be posting next week from New Orleans! For more quick takes fun go visit Jen at Conversion Diary.

4 comments:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Well of course that's not a good "guess what," that's a great "I knew that already."

When I read about your doctor and his staff, I was reminded of the pediatrician who checked out my son in the hospital at birth. He died a short time later, along with his wife, in a crash on a Chicago expressway. Neither were wearing seat belts, but this was the man who reminded me I couldn't take my baby home without a car seat... I know really the only similarity is they were both physicians, but it still brought it to mind.

I like your quick take on worry.

I went to NOLA with only a suitcase a while back too. So much more pleasant that carting a load of stuff. Have the best time!

tiziana said...

Mamma mia quante notizie nel tuo blog.
n° 1 - Non ci credo!! Che bello!! In questo periodo Chiara non è cambiata perciò..nessuna novità.
n° 2 - Terribile..non abbiamo sentito nessuna notizia di questo incidente.
n° 3 - Che ansia l'aereo, proprio non mi piace ma ascolterò i tuoi consigli, ho troppe persone care lontane da andare a trovare.
n° 4 - Il prossimo weekend Luciano andrà a festeggiare il suo compleanno (da solo) da Damiano e Irene. Cosa avrà in valigia?...
...Formaggio, salame, vino.... è abbastanza light?
n° 6 - Adorabile!!!
n° 7 - Sicuramente troverai qualche altra cosa bella cosa da fare, ne sono sicura.
n° 7 - Bravissima!!
Un bacione.

Anonymous said...

Amazing Race

Ray V.. said...

As the father of "the girl" , I will attest to his manners...we went out for pizza last night, no meat, of course.

He is also astute, being able to quote for me the three, most important rules...# 6 and #9 and #9 amended. To read them. look here: http://villageundertaker.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/the-rules/

All joking aside, he is a nice, young man and I am enjoying playing "the role" of scary dad.