Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Monday, February 18, 2013

Where, Oh Where, Has Maria gone?


I'm sure it's been a burning question, and maybe you simply thought that I had given up blogging and/or facebook for Lent. That would have been noble and bit of a sacrifice ... but no. I thought about it, but in all honesty I think of Lenten resolutions as something I need to work on in order to improve my spirituality and, believe me, giving up either of those isn't what I need right now.

No, this year I am working on a thorn. In my side. As in St. Paul's thorn (2 Cor 12:7). A teeny, tiny thorn working its way deeper and deeper can be monumentally distracting, and I have one I need to get rid of. But, more on this another day.

So, where have I been? One reason for my absence has been two leg surgeries, one last Tuesday with another one tomorrow. Nothing debilitating (hooray! for modern medicine) but both the early surgery time (4:30 a.m.) and the use of  anesthesia means that my schedule is thrown off for a couple of days.

Then, this past weekend Joe and I participated in a couples retreat called Living in Love. While we make it a point to schedule date night and (occasionally) a weekend getaway, this was the first time we have done a spiritual retreat together. It was a wonderful weekend, and we came away renewed in heart and mind. I'm still processing the entire experience, but I'm sure I'll be writing about it at some point.

Finally, about our (occasional) weekend getaways ...well, we have one coming up. This Sunday Joe leaves for New Orleans for a class on Chemical Engineering and I am tagging along. Two weekends in a row of together time ... without the boys ... whoa. There are no words.

So. Anyway. I am still here.

Just in case you were wondering ...

3 comments:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

What a sweet photo of you.

Enjoy your time away as you reflect on...your time away!

Ua said...

I love that picture!

tiziana said...

Molto bello il tuo blog come è bella la tua foto.
Auguri per tutto.