An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Sunday, March 10, 2013

All is Good


A few years ago I did not make a conscious decision to give up the computer for Lent, but that's exactly what ended up happening. A wonderful combination of events (no pressing article deadlines, no crazy spring schedule with the boys' school/sports activities) meant that I had some pockets of time which (without even realizing it) didn't involve my computer keyboard.

That is not to say I wasn't busy, because I was. But I was busy doing different things: I made some changes, set some goals, tried a lot of new recipes, organized my writing, and did some research. I also found time to pray and reflect.

Then, on the Wednesday of Holy Week my husband had to undergo surgery. While it was not a serious health issue, it certainly reminded me how life is all about a progression of changes. It's easy to become complacent in our day-to-day life, but each day, each hour and, yes, each minute brings about change. In big ways and in little, changes are inevitable, but between the bookends of birth and death is a fantastic journey in which change is all part of it. It's not always easy (and it's not supposed to be) but with grace we can appreciate the entire journey and recognize it for the gift that it is.

Amazingly just a few days later, on Easter Sunday, we stepped outside and realized that the cicadas had arrived. After an absence of 13 years they were back, and in their loud, distant droning in the woods behind our house I heard nature's music of changes and seasons ... the Song of Life affirming that all is as it should be, and it is all good.

2 comments:

tiziana said...

Hai proprio ragione, cara Maria, bisognerebbe ogni tanto fermarsi ed ascoltare la musica della vita.

Lisa said...

I had practically the same thing happen over Lent with blogging -- Life enforced silence when I didn't have the sense to make it myself. :) But - ah! Deep Breath. Lent is over -- Christ is risen and spring has sprung! Hope your husband is recovering well -- and that spring is coming along beautifully in every way for you all. Blessings, friend!