An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Exodus


The day before THE EXODUS, and things kick into gear.

For those who don't live in this area, there is this little tournament called the Masters which not only puts our city on the international scene for a week, but it also generates income for those of us who rent our homes.

It's a nice gig, but it is a lot of work. I feel as if I have been cleaning for a month. The plus side is that every year our home gets a spring cleaning like you wouldn't believe.  Windows are washed, new pine straw is spread, and hanging ferns adorn the front porch. Closets, drawers, and cabinets get purged. Clothes and toys get sorted. Baseboards, ceiling fans, walls, stair risers, and door frames are wiped and dusted.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is my best friend.

Since we leave tomorrow and it's hard to clean with people who undo what I have just done, the boys are spending tonight with i nonni so I can finish every room completely and then just deal with the master bedroom in the morning.

I'm telling you it takes orchestration. Think I can't run the country?

Of course, there are always last minute problems. Last night the company renting our home called wanting to make sure that a) we have propane in our gas grill (we do!) and b) dry wood for our fire pit (uh, oh).

Guess what three somebodies will be foraging the woods behind our house and gathering firewood this morning?

So, I really need to quit blogging, finish my cappuccino, and get swiffering.

Oh, did I mention that I also changed out all shelf liners?

P.S. If you want to find out how in the world I rented our home after just giving birth the week before, go here.

4 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

But where do you go? It's not as if you can go away somewhere fun (unless the schools in your area shut down for the tournament).

tiziana said...

Mamma mia che lavoro!! Divertitevi in vacanza.

Do Not Be Anxious said...

Gee whiz. I was just listening to the radio show this morning which mentioned how they used to run a plane-load of people down to the Masters for the practice day, for $100, including airfare and lunch. I did it one time, and it was a great day. Hearing it this morning, I thought it would be fun to go back again. Next year maybe I'll ask to rent your house directly from you, and eliminate the middle man.

.... and maybe we could even trade! Michigan is such fun this time of year; you could come up here and plant my garden and my flowers outside --- and get out the deck furniture and hoses and rake the leaves and de-thatch the lawn and ..... ;-)

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Every time I hear about the Masters, I think of you!