An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Basket


A week before leaving for our spring break vacation, my husband announced that he had a small surprise planned for when we arrived in Florida. He was bombarded with questions -- What is it? Will we like it? Is it big? Is it small? Is it for everyone? -- but he revealed nothing, only giving this cryptic clue: basket.

That's it. One word, basket.

Once we arrived in Orlando and checked into our condo, Joe sent us out of the living room to get the surprise ready. When he called us back in, this is what we discovered on the coffee table ...

the basket surprise

Skittles, Snickers, M&M's, Starburst ... whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted it. There for the taking. Enough for an entire week.

I looked at my husband, who was very pleased with his surprise. I looked at the boys who were thrilled with all that candy. I looked at that basket, and I could feel an internal battle brewing.

But HERE YE! HERE YE! let it be known here and now (and far and wide) that for the one week I was in the presence of all that temptation, I only had ONE bag of peanut M&M's. That's it ... ONE BAG.

Whoa. I don't know, but I deserve a Basket Award, or something.

3 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

That's almost superhuman on your part!

tiziana said...

Molto brava, però, eri in vacanza....potevi mangiare qualche dolcetto in più.
Bravo Joe!
PS: in quanti giorni siete riusciti a finirli tutti?

Ua said...

Good for Joe! Did he eat any of it? If it had been a basketful of potato chips, I would have been all over it.