Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Friday, May 24, 2013

Pie, Contrariness, Hidden Shoes ... in 7 Quick Takes

 
~1~ Lemonade + Ice Cream = A Taste of Summer

You can thank me later, but this Lemonade Ice Cream Pie is (hands down) the best. Try it. Four basic ingredients, and you're set.

LEMONADE ICE CREAM PIE (makes 2 pies)

Two 6-oz ready-made pie crusts, graham cracker or shortbread
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened
1 can (12 oz) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 tub (16 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed

1. Place crusts in freezer.
2. Put softened ice cream, lemonade concentrate, and 3/4 of the whipped topping into a large bowl. Stir until blended.
3. Spread mixture in each pie crust.
4. Top each with remaining whipped topping.
5. Cover and place in freezer.
*garnish with fresh blueberries and/or sliced strawberries.




~2~ Speaking of summer, the perfect beverage for a picnic.

Homemade Italian Panini, Cape Cod chips, strawberries in freshly squeezed lemon juice, and Pellegrino ... the perfect summer picnic. Oh, and wine. Let's not forget the wine.



~3~ Really, is it so hard?

To take two seconds to put your shoes up on one of these shelves? Summer means shoes/sneakers/flip flops EVERYWHERE, so after tripping on yet another size12 pair of sneakers I felt compelled to lay down the law.



~4~ No Contrariness during the summer. 
 
 


~5~ Summer Reading.

I am excited about two new books out this week. I think Khaled Hosseini is a brilliant writer ... lyrical, moving, gripping. This is #1 on my summer reading list.



And who doesn't like Dan Brown? I own the special illustrated editions of Angels and Demons, The Da Vinci Code, and The Lost Symbol because, believe me, it makes a world of difference to read his books with the art work right there in front of you. Needless to say, I will wait a little for the illustrated edition of his newest book.



~6~ Summer and Mason Jars.
 
Here is a link for 23 ideas on what to do with those iconic jars.

http://myblessedlife.net/2012/08/mason-jar-ideas.html

~7~ Huh. One hour later ...



Now, go visit Jen at Conversion Diary ... she has a monster centipede problem
and is looking for a flamethrower to take care of the problem.

7 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

I read somewhere that, for people to put things away, it has to be easy. But it doesn't have to be easy for them to get them back out, because they WANT them. So, milk crates or other tub-like receptacles work well (IN THEORY), because people can just toss their shoes in. NOT THAT THEY BOTHER TO DO THAT AROUND HERE

Suburban Correspondent said...

TOTALLY trying that pie...

Maria (also Bia) said...

SC ... try the pie.

Deanna said...

Thanks for the book tip, always looking for good reads.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

We have a staff party on the last day of school, and I'd love to bring the pie, but I think it would melt in transit. So I guess I'll just have to make two for me!

(Remember your chocolate cake with the cookies all around. I make that and people were shocked. I like to shock people. Gosh I hope that was you! If not, take the credit.)

I was sitting in the living room last night and realized there were three pairs of shoes scattered about. The worse part? They were all mine. Send me a note to hang on my shoe cubbies, okay?

tiziana said...

MMMM!! Che bontà, grazie per le idee!
A casa mia dovrei mettere bigliettini ovunque..in sala, in cucina, in bagno, in camera...ma purtroppo penso che nessuno sappia leggere.

Social Lady said...

I love the note from your child at the bottom of yours. It looks like something my son would do! And I love the picture of the shoes. We have the same setup and of course, no shoes make it on there. Maybe I will have to try your idea...although it's not completely working, is it? Ha ha!