An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Una Mattina di Maggio (A Morning in May)


This morning I was having my breakfast by an open window. The cool breeze, the birds chirping, the glorious sun filtering through the trees ... and I grew melancholy.

Just like that.

I think it was because the weather was so perfect that it triggered memories of our last trip to Italy in which mornings just like this meant adventures around every corner: weaving in and out of the columns in St. Peter's Square, exploring Trastevere in the evenings, watching the sun from the cliffs in Sorrento, eating a panino on the steps of the Pantheon, haggling with vendors at the mercato ...

By the time I finished my cappuccino, though, I decided I wasn't going to wallow in my melancholia. I came up with a plan: I would meander through the Saturday Market on the River, purchase a loaf of fresh bread and some fresh vegetables (which I would carry in my new Thirty-One Inside-Out Bag which I like to call my mercato bag), listen to the street musicians, walk along the river, and enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of a beautiful spring day.

And that's exactly what I did.

2 comments:

tiziana said...

E' tutto così bello quello che hai scritto, che hai reso felice anche il mio giorno di maggio, anche se sono un po' triste perchè domani partiranno Damiano e Irene e torneranno in Inghilterra.
Godiamoci però questa giornata, domani è un altro giorno.
Che bella la foto!!

Do Not Be Anxious said...

Ugh, he says from the dreary rain and 50-degree temperatures (although my prayers were answered over the weekend and it didn't drop below freezing and kill my garden ---- AGAIN!)

(hmmmm. the "prove you are not a robot" words which just appeared below this are: "the Goduclic". Is that supposed to be a description of your blog?)