An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, August 2, 2013

Football tickets, the Duck Guys, and Santa Claus ... in 7quick takes


~1~ So, my younger brother and his family just relocated to Athens, GA. My brother is a doctor, and in addition to his new practice and teaching for GHRU (or whatever the heck it's called), he also has this sweet gig where he gets to be the on call emergency doctor at the home football games. He gets a couple free tickets each time. He's my favorite brother and the boys' favorite uncle.

~2~ This past Thursday was Harry Potter's birthday (the character, not the actor) and to celebrate our little guy overcoming some reading hurdles (you can read about those here), I planned a fun day of activities: a Sorting Hat ceremony (with Jonathan hiding in the closet being the hat's voice), a scavenger hunt, lunch at Honeyduke's (what child wouldn't like Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans or Slytherin sandwiches for lunch? ), a learn-to-draw-Harry-Potter activity (you can find these here), a Quidditch Tournament (the birdie in badminton makes a great golden snitch), and a late night showing of the first Harry Potter movie complete with Glow Sticks.

At the end of the day, in typical dramatic fashion, our little guy declared, "This was the best day of my life! Well, except for Christmas. It was the best day of my life after Christmas."


 

~3~ This week our college bound son went to the mall to buy clothes. It was his idea ... he wanted to upgrade his wardrobe. Yes, you read that correctly. With a little help from two lovely people, he came home with a wardrobe. And yesterday he went to buy some shoes ... no sneakers, but some casual shoes.

He cleans up nicely, if I do say so myself.

~4~ Last Friday I mentioned how Jonathan has to inform us when he gets to work and when his shift ends. Accordingly, I have a summer's worth of texts which go like this: here-leavin-here-leavin.

Well, I was telling the story to my sister and a friend, and we had a good laugh at Jonathan's expense. But the laugh was on us because Jonathan overheard our little conversation, and that night his texts changed to: arrived-departing.

He thinks he's funny, does my son.

~5~ Should I be worried that I found this on our little guy's bulletin board?

 

~6~ How cute is this idea I found on Pinterest? Totally do-able.
yes, i can do this.
~7~ During my parents' recent travels, we were happy to learn that they put in a good word with The Man himself ...



That's it for today! Be sure to stop in and visit Jen at Conversion Diary!

No comments: