Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Sometimes Practice Doesn't Make Perfect


My sister is going to kill me when I tell this story. But so be it. That's what sisters are for.

Before I begin, let me tell you that in grade school Laura had braces. But wait. Not just braces, but also neck gear, head gear, retainer ... you name it, she had it. She had so much hardware that when we needed television reception we simply adjusted Laura's position on the couch.

We were living on the American base in Vicenza, Italy and one morning my sister had an orthodontist appointment. So, my mom dropped her off with the idea that after the appointment Laura would just walk back to school (this was a time when the world was a kinder and gentler place).

So, after the appointment Laura started walking back to school, during which she rehearsed what she was going to tell the teacher to explain her tardiness. It had to be something simple because, after an orthodontist appointment in which adjustments are made and wires are tightened, it's just impossible to talk. So she practiced.

"Den-tisht appointment, den-tisht appointment, den-tisht appointment," she repeated as she walked.

By the time she arrived to school she was ready. She stood in front of the teacher's desk and very confidently said, "Den-tisht appointment."

She was very proud of herself. Not only had she accomplished her goal, but she also managed not to spit too much when she said den-tisht.

The teacher paused what she was doing, looked at my sister, and then without any pity whatsoever said, "It's den-tal appointment."

The story still makes me laugh.

4 comments:

Ua (the sister) said...

I am SO going to kill you!!!!!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I'm not your sister, but I wouldn't be embarrassed at all by this. I'm sure there are more embarrassing stories, we all have them, but don't tell them!

tiziana said...

E' incredibile come certi ricordi, di piccole cose, restino nella nostra mente!! Poverina UA!!!
Anche alla Paola era successa una cosa simile con la sua maestra e ce lo ricordiamo benissimo ancora (eh! eh!).
Laura pensa ad una piccola vendetta!!

Do Not Be Anxious said...

Ugh. Having had braces also, that story about affecting the television reception is soooooooo old. At least have the decency to make up something new (and funny).

(Did you sister also like to shoot the small rubber bands? I sooo got into trouble in school over that.)