Monday, September 2, 2013

In which I almost got arrested. Really.


This a true story.

See the picture below? That's Jonathan going through customs at the Malpensa Airport in Milan, Italy.

See the man in the booth? That's the customs official stamping Jonathan's passport.

See the bright refection on the window, just above the custom official's head? That was the flash of my camera as I took a photo of Jonathan going through customs.

What was I thinking? I tell you what I was thinking. I was thinking how nice it would be to record the exact moment when Jonathan stepped onto Italian soil.

Again I ask, WHAT IN THE HECK WAS I THINKING? because the second I took that photo I was immediately surrounded - SURROUNDED! - by airport security.

What are you doing? Why are you taking the photo? What's your name? Who were you taking a photo of? Who is that boy? ... so many questions!

Luckily I could speak Italian. I told them that this was the boys' first trip to Italy and I was so excited that I just wanted to take a picture. What I didn't tell them was that I had just survived a transatlantic flight with a two year old bambino who had not slept the entire nine hour flight. My mind was mush, I tell you, because I had been awake for more than 24 hours.

Thank goodness, though, I managed to sound coherent because do you see Joe in the photo? He was not allowed to go through customs until that little brouhaha was settled. Poor Joe. He stood there waiting and had absolutely no idea what was going on.

In the end, the little misunderstanding was settled -- I even got to keep my camera! -- and we went on to have a wonderful vacation.

But sheesh. All that fuss for a simple photo.



4 comments:

tiziana said...

Mi dispiace vi sia successo questo spiacevole inconveniente a Milano. Non lo sapevo o non me lo ricordavo.
Purtoppo, a causa di tutto quello che sta succedendo nel mondo, stiamo diventando tutti più sospettosi e non ci fidiamo di nessuno, soprattutto negli aeroporti.
Pochi giorni fa hanno fermato per 15 minuti Damiano in partenza dall'aeroporto di Bremen (Germania) per Londra, per controllare e ricontrollare il suo passaporto perchè era stato, anni fa, in Egitto.
Come era bello una volta viaggiare con la sola paura che ti scoprissero in valigia un pacco di tortellini o una bottiglia di vino.
Un bacione.

Ua said...

I did not remember that incident!!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you were not arrested.
What a story to reflect back on for you all. An adventure definitely.

Tracy said...

I thought it picked up my name in the earlier comment. It's Tracy A.